East Coast faces gas shortages.......

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

East Coast faces gas shortages.......

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:15 pm

East Coast faces gas shortages, price hikes after pipeline leak
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/16/investi ... line-leak/

Fill your car or truck up now!!!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: East Coast faces gas shortages.......

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:50 pm

This will be an interesting test to see how people react and see how much stress the just in time delivery system will cause. 8-)
Copper Catcher

Postby chris6084 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:26 am

I remember about 12 years ago or so when a pipe break between California and Arizona caused a gas shortage in Phoenix. Seemed like 75% of the gas stations had no gas, the ones that did had lines that were blocks long and some stations were charging $7+ for gas. That lasted for a couple of weeks.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 pm

This is going to get very ugly....By the end of Monday my guess is ALL the gas stations will be out gas and some people will start to panic....

Colonial Pipeline announced Saturday it is beginning construction of a temporary pipeline that will bypass a leaking section of its main gasoline pipeline in Shelby County, Alabama.

No timetable was given as to when that bypass line would be completed or what path it would take

As much as 336,000 gallons of gasoline is estimated to have spilled from the 36-inch pipeline since Sept. 9, when a leak was discovered by an inspector for the Alabama Surface Mining Commission who was performing a routine check at an inactive coal mine.

The leaking pipeline has been shut down since Sept. 9, and is a major part of the gasoline distribution system in the United States. The pipeline carries about 1.3 million barrels of gasoline per day from refineries in Houston to distribution centers in the Southeast and Eastern U.S., from Alabama to Atlanta to New York. Some estimates have said 40 percent of the gasoline used on the East Coast comes through this pipeline.

Source: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... ss_le.html
Copper Catcher

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:57 pm

From another forum:
"I had to take family to the Nashville airport on Saturday and it was crazy there! I figured I would gas up in Nashville on the way back since stations here in north Alabama were crowded (thinking it wouldn't be a problem up there). Pulled off at Brentwood on the way back and it was "no gas" at station after station in the area. After driving around for a while I got back on the interstate and went down to the Franklin exit since I knew there were a bunch of stations there. Same thing, no gas at any of them, but one guy said Kroger still had some down the road. Thankfully he was right so I got in line and an hour and forty-five minutes later gassed up!

It was mostly civil but there were a few people that tried to cut the line that were met with horns and people telling them to get to the back, which they did. Except for one fluffer. The line split in two when you got close to the two islands; they were using one side of each and the other side was blocked with cones. In the other lane, a guy finished filling up and a truck came flying up the opposite way running over the cones and the driver jumped out, grabbed the pump and started filling up. Honking and yelling ensued. One guy ran up and they stated yelling at each other. The guy walked back to his car and got pen and paper to take the fluffers plate number. After getting the number, he was walking back around on the passengers side of the truck and the dudes wife swung the door open trying to hit him and more yelling ensued. Eventually he filled up and peeled out of the station. I spoke to the guy and said they were Jersey plates so it was probably useless.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Just got me thinking more and more about getting land out away from the city and becoming self-sufficient. If we lose services for an extended period of time, it's going to get ugly."

Sounds like typical Jersey driver behavior from my limited experience.

Also:
"Our local news station is reporting that a gas station in Woodstock ( 20 Mins outta the ATL) is selling gas at.....

$9.99 per gallon and people were lined up to get it."

I bet the Prius drivers are patting themselves on the back about now.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:17 pm

$9.99 per gallon and people were lined up to get it."

I bet the Prius drivers are patting themselves on the back about now. :lol: :lol:
hobo finds

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 pm

No shortage so far here in The 'Cuse Upstate NY. $1.91 for regular but we topped off all the cars anyway.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby wolvesdad » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Thankfully I'm here in Texas. Filled up yesterday at $1.86. Actually around here the price has dropped about 10 cents the last 7 days.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:21 pm

What is up with this? My Mom called me from South Carolina saturday, said she went out to gas up when she heard the news and had to wait in line. MEANWHILE, here in Roanoke VA, I went out with wife to gas up and there were no lines at all at any gas station we passed. Only thing I will say is price went from $1.99 on friday night to $2.09 saturday morning at the Kroger we go to.

I'd say stack but, gas? Whatever..........
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:49 am

Supply Movement and Operations Update

SHELBY COUNTY, Ala. – Colonial Pipeline issued the following update today regarding shipments of gasoline initiated late last week and in the process of being delivered now (many supplies have already been delivered) to distribution terminals throughout the system.

In an effort to minimize supply disruptions, last week Colonial Pipeline gathered gasoline from Gulf Coast refiners in order to ship supplies on its distillate line to markets throughout the affected region. As a result, following around-the-clock operations to effect this contingency plan, supplies of gasoline have been delivered and/or are in route to terminal locations in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Delivery times to mainline and stubline terminals in these markets vary.

We continue to be in regular communication with our customers, who are also working on their own individual contingency plans to minimize supply disruptions. This includes trucking and barging fuel from other markets and refineries.

Supply Operations Explained

As described above, gasoline shipments on Lines 1 and 2 (Mainlines) initiated on the system starting last week were delivered this past weekend or are in route to the following markets, with local and regional fuel marketers distributing the product from their terminals to retail stations:
•Boligee, Oxford and Birmingham, Alabama
•Opelousas, Louisiana
•Atlanta, Georgia
•Meridian, Mississippi
•Belton and Spartanburg, South Carolina
•Greensboro and Charlotte, North Carolina

Upon arrival at the mainline terminal locations outlined above, Colonial will deliver fuel directly to local terminal customers or re-originate the fuel down lateral or stublines to additional terminals in several other markets, which are highlighted below. Fuel terminal operators will then determine distribution patterns for each respective market, where gasoline will be off-loaded into tanker trucks for delivery to retail stations.
•Griffin, Macon, Albany, and Bainbridge, Georgia
•Raleigh and Selma, North Carolina
•Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga, Tennessee
•North Augusta, South Carolina

Under normal circumstances, the Colonial Pipeline system transports approximately 2.6 million barrels of refined products each day, with Line 1 accounting for half of this volume. Colonial is currently shipping significant volumes of gasoline on Line 2, the distillate mainline, to help mitigate the impact of the service interruption to Line 1. These changes have allowed all origins and delivery markets to be served along the entire system, albeit in a reduced capacity. For more information on the fuel supply chain, please click here: http://www.refinerlink.com/blog/Pipelin ... ts_to_Pump
Copper Catcher

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Today is not as bad as I suspected....not all stations are out but lots are. It appears to be hit or miss around town. :shifty:
Copper Catcher

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:As much as 336,000 gallons of gasoline is estimated to have spilled from the 36-inch pipeline since Sept. 9, when a leak was discovered by an inspector for the Alabama Surface Mining Commission who was performing a routine check at an inactive coal mine.
Source: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... ss_le.html

I'm surprised that entrepreneurial criminals haven't taken advantage of this supply inventory oversight. Then again, maybe they already have/are.

If I’m understanding this correctly, the leak was discovered not because they were looking for it, but because someone was checking on something else. They hadn't even noticed that over a quarter of a million gallons of gas had gone *poof*.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions