Will Trump Live Until Inauguration?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Will Trump Live Until Inauguration?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 pm

There are some evil nutjobs out there! :?

I'm thinking (haven't fact checked this) that if something did happen to Trump that Obama would remain in power. I don't think
there is any mechanism to place the Vice President elect into the presidency if the inauguration hasn't yet happened. Wouldn't
surprise me much if Obama or some of his advisors aren't considering diabolical ideas.

edit: I sincerely hope nothing bad does occur. Maybe now we can get that damned Obamacare rescinded. :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Will Trump Live Until Inauguration?

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:17 pm

I would think the VP elect would bump up to the Elect President.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:39 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I would think the VP elect would bump up to the Elect President.

I don't think so... but I can't find anything online to verify it one way or another.
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

http://www.bnd.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/answer-man/article95008462.html

"If the candidate dies between the Electoral College meeting and Congressional certification, you’re really in uncharted territory, because the framers of the Constitution apparently never considered the possibility. Chances are the person who won the Electoral College vote would be considered the president-elect and, under Section 3 of the 20th Amendment, the vice-president-elect would be sworn in as president. Finally, if the candidate should die in that short window between the congressional OK and the inauguration, that 20th Amendment would take precedence and the veep-elect would get the keys to the Oval Office."
beauanderos

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:00 am

Here's the relevant text of the Constitution:

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:Here's the relevant text of the Constitution:

Section 3. If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

thanks! That appears to clear it up. :clap:
beauanderos

Postby bluejuice915 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:39 am

If the text I'm reading is right, and I'm familiar enough with what happened during the campaign, IF Trump does die, the republican majority in Congress will make Cruz the next President.
-_-
I want to be wrong, except it's so satisfying to say I was right.
... and the world descended into chaos as the select survivors cried about the surrounding stupidity.
bluejuice915

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 am

Not to say an attempt might not be made, but Trump will live to be inaugurated.

Inaugurated, what kind of word is inaugurated? Sounds like some kind of electro-chemical-mechanical-medical process. As in, my knees used to kill me but I had them inaugurated and they are much better now. Or, my car used to run terrible but I had the engine inaugurated and now it purrs like a kitten. Or, I used to worry about the damage done to my coins by the traces of hydrogen sulfide in the air but I had the inaugurated electroplating process done to them and now they are impervious to the environment.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:04 am

I told Sterling if he didn't clean his room I was going to have mom's uvula inaugurated, and post it on the web.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions