Are They Remodeling/Building Banks In Your Area?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Are They Remodeling/Building Banks In Your Area?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Recently I noticed that a BofA branch in our area is doing a substantial remodeling of the branch. Also, a Chase Bank branch in a strip mall closed the existing location and opened a new standalone branch in the parking lot of the same strip mall. I thought that perhaps both branches would have bulletproof glass and armed guards, but that wasn't the case.

Wells Fargo in our area didn't do a remodel and there is no Citibank location within 5-10 miles or so and I don't want to go out of my way to visit them.

For privacy reasons, I'd rather not say what city I live in.

This construction/renovation activity seems a bit odd as some would think banks are in a long-term decline. When I say that, I think of many bank locations where they used to have 5-10 tellers open at the same time. Now they often times have two, and maybe three on a Friday. Also, many millennials do so much online and use services like Venmo, so they really don't have much need for banks. Also, many of us who've been around the block a time or two aren't trusting of banks and don't want to keep too much money there. So why all the activity? Has anyone else noticed activity like this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Are They Remodeling/Building Banks In Your Area?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am

Haven't, but doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Capital One, which bought and is buying up smaller banks to create a new retail banking network, is focusing on opening coffee shops - yep. They are building coffee shops thst have banking included.

With de-emphasis on cash you don't need armed guards or bullet proof glass, and fewer tellers.

What are they doing? Just a guess but I would say it includes: 1) Maintaining real estate equity. 2) Providing an outlet for loan inquiries. 3) keeping their name out their while trying to stay connected to the area they are in - but at a minimum cost (no safe deposit boxes, no giant vaults).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby fasteddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Building banks on nearly every corner here, CU's also...with one or two tellers...Heck the closest B of A closed down its drive through lanes. That is odd. Looks like they are doing a lot of loans. Poor people will never know what its like to have money.

I keep about 300$ in my pocket....after Hurricane Harvey many shops/stores could only take cash due to the servers/computers being down. Learned that lesson during Rita.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm

HSBC is renovating and shedding 2500 sq ft of office space. They reduced the number of wickets and moved staff into cubicles behind the counter. A few years ago they relocated from a two story building to the current space. I assume this is just HSBC downsizing again as a cost cutting measure.

Most banks and credit unions around me are in hold or expand mode. One of the credit unions opened a branch a couple years ago in a new shopping center in an area with many new homes. The Fraser Valley continues to grow and the banks are keeping pace, but not building that many branches. Credit Unions are a big part of the business in BC.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby coppernickel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:36 pm

The main bank in our town just got a remodel. They have also got a lot of new tellers who have little understanding of cash.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:53 pm

coppernickel wrote:The main bank in our town just got a remodel. They have also got a lot of new tellers who have little understanding of cash.

I am always amazed when I run into a teller who doesn't even know what a half dollar is- and it does happen from time to time!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby agmoose » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm

A couple of the banks here have done so, and when they were done, they actually reduced the number of teller windows by 2 at each location. (Wells Fargo & B of A).
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:47 pm

And building new branches, and moving towards teller less kiosk based, just like grocery stores are getting rid of humans in check out lines.
They've done tons of loans, even though the interest rate is low many new loans and the money is I"m sure coming in fast as they make most of it on the front end of loans. I know my branch gets $170 from me a month on a 70,000 dollar loan that I'm running 15 years at 2.625, yeah it's a good loan, but it cost me $500 a month. Lately I'm putting more into savings, things are getting a little to expensive for my taste and I want to have some change in case au/ag ever takes anymore of these fancy dips.

I think we have over a trillion out in car/truck loans right now.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions