Inflation and recycling

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Inflation and recycling

Postby whatsnext » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am

If the inflation hits hard in the coming years would there eventually be a recycling "scrap" price for cardboard, glass, plastics/resins and other things that are just recycling for recycling at the moment?

Nobody really stores any of the things in bulk and it is a convience to be rid of them really. Metal use to be the product of choice but has been phased out in the last 30 years. So if oil does hit 125-150, would not the need for recovery of these common materials become more intense?

So would you expect recyclables to be priced recycling or just mandated for recycling in the future?
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Inflation and recycling

Postby TXBullion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:21 pm

I always wondered this too. I wondered if it would be feasible for a recycling company to pay people for their goods. I know it wouldnt be a lot, but I believe the end result of those recycled goods leads to profitability. Is it possible? I bet it is and Im surprised no one is doing this yet at least that I know of
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby No82s » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:18 pm

I remember as a kid we used to have paper drives to raise money for cub scouts. Yards paid for paper and cardboard. Its all a matter of price and what someone is willing to pay.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby copperhead57 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 pm

I would only bother with aluminum cans.
Copperhead57
copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

Postby whatsnext » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:31 pm

I have noticed that there is more attention to recycling on the state level. I think they will/are mandate recycling soon in most cities.

I wonder if they sanitation dept. makes any money off the recycling. They must sell what they collect, but they wouldnot make that much I'm sure. The amount of gas to move those trucks would add up quick.

And yeay I doubt anybody would go out of their way to collect plastic bottles, but glass bottles at 5cent would not be to bad.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby abe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 pm

They pick up paper/cardboard once a month here and some people refuse to recycle because someone other than them is making a profit off the recycled goods. Thats pretty damn onry, I'm happy to get rid of old magazines or boxes.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

A guy did that here, he rented an old lumber yard the size of Lowes or Home Depot.

he bought his own trucks, fork lifts.

the city came in and shut him down, after they gave him a permit, and he had

spent tons of money. so he had a meeting with the city council, they told him it

was a fire hazzard, and not insured, he could not get insurance after that.

Then the state fire marshal came shut him down permanent.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 am

possible but there is a glut of newsprint.

recycled paper actually costs more for end users.

cities recycle because they save money on landfill fees.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 am

I am an avid recycler of newsprint and office paper, but I don't sell it.

It started out as an attempt to stop identity theft. The local post office busted a group stealing the mail at the office complex we used to be at. We started shredding all credit card offers, any documents with our name on it, etc. Then what to do with the shredded paper? Some criminals actually were sifting the dumpsters!

I decided to put the shred into my garden compost pile. At first it was hard to do. The local critters loved to get it and make nests with it! :) After a while, I got the hang of it. It makes terrific compost!

The trick is to use only paper with biodegradable inks and glues. You have to keep it wet, and turn it often so the local critters don't carry it off to line their nests with. Earth worms love it! It is high in carbon, so it contributes very well to an organic soil's microcosm.

With runaway inflation... a healthy organic garden will pay for itself.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions