Grapes of Wrath

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Grapes of Wrath

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:00 pm

good write up on the Grapes of Wrath.

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=10725
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Grapes of Wrath

Postby rickygee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I've been meaning to rediscover this classic for some time now. Thanks for the reminder.
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 am

Huge Steinbeck fan here. Tortilla Flat is still one of my favourites.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:21 am

you read a lot of these books as a kid and then have to rediscover them as an adult.

might as well start rediscovering the ones that are most timely.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:you read a lot of these books as a kid and then have to rediscover them as an adult.

might as well start rediscovering the ones that are most timely.

Yeah I know what you mean. Of Mice and Men is very short and is pretty much a single-sitting read, but revisiting it years after reading it for school you really appreciate how well written it actually is.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am

The black and white movie of the G of W is something that you'll be able to visualize for quite awhile after watching. Let's hope that the movie and book don't become a reality for us.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:40 am

on the subject of classics, 2 i enjoyed which are very easy reads although only tangentially related to current events are Animal Farm by George Orwell and Candide by Voltaire. I recommend both.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby walt2727 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 am

Know Common Cents wrote:The black and white movie of the G of W is something that you'll be able to visualize for quite awhile after watching. Let's hope that the movie and book don't become a reality for us.

Good comment about the movie. How many people would have the mindset to survive that severe of a crisis?
To quote from the movie Galaxy Quest: "Never give up, never surrender!"
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:14 pm

walt2727 wrote: Good comment about the movie. How many people would have the mindset to survive that severe of a crisis?

Lot's of people do survive that sort of thing. I have, three times. You just buckle down and do what you have to do, day by day. It's people who are unwilling to give up their "nice to have" stuff, who are unable to do without hair dressers or fancy cars or (?) who end up killing themselves via stubborness.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:The black and white movie of the G of W is something that you'll be able to visualize for quite awhile after watching. Let's hope that the movie and book don't become a reality for us.

nope that will never happen. those folks were from another era. notice they went looking for honest WORK? If things get that bad again, people will be off looking for food, not work imo. the dynamic is totally different, an entire generation thins its their "right" to get taken care of. In those days many many folks grew their own food which dramatically lessened the issues system wide. what was left of our economy at the time was geared towards production, now we center on "services".

Now if you really want to dig go study the crashes in 1901-03 and 1906-7... and then the depression. Laws relating around the time etc.... It was OPENLY discussed in that era how the banking elites manipulated the economy. caused those crashes,(after convincing many to get loans on land they had all ready owned) and coupled with taxes took the land from many american families. this literally built up the cities. these same folks needed warm compliant bodies for the factories. In 1900 90 plus percent of americans owned land and produced most of their own food, tended animals, mended clothes etc. Basically were self empowered and owned their lives. I know this sounds like "conspiracy theory" to people, but theres no theory about it. It was openly discussed at the time. heck they joked about it in newspapers. It goes much deeper then that, like the forced build up of industrial ag, which contrary to what many think is not better in any way shape or form. It doesnt produce as well, it does indeed destroy the soil, and lower the nutrition quality of the food over time. BUT it took the power out of the farmers hands.... It put the power into industry. It was 100 percent government forced!!!! it didnt rise by superiority, not even close.

Then as you get into the world bank, and IMF, the same centralization of power went on across the planet. There no theory about this. If it sounds like tinfoil stuff I absolutely assure you, you simply didnt research it deeply enough or found a jaded source.

society is being forced to jump through hoops, much of this was indeed by design it appears. centralized power globally speaking.... economic downturns wont stop it, in fact will ensure it.

I do indeed know how this sounds to people, but I absolutely assure you, if you dig deep enough its all verifiable. and theres much much more then that, that is again global in nature. We are about to enter the next phase of this, and whatever happens, america as we know it wont exist in 10-20 years. Lets hope people rise and take their own lives back peacefully.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:05 pm

We are all "Tom Joads" now.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions