US Bonds are CRISPY BURNT TOAST

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

US Bonds are CRISPY BURNT TOAST

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 pm

Bill Gross manages THE largest bond fund on Earth. Not only has this fund sold all of the long term US debt holdings that it once had, but now it is NET SHORT THEM!!! Not only that, but this move was made fast, too... Jan to Feb: 12% to 0%, and then Feb to Mar: -3%. Why else would you want to get out of a large position so fast?

For those that understand, you know what this means. For those that don't, prepare for the FED to resort to hitting the nitrous switch when nobody steps up to the plate to buy our debt in June. This could get very very ugly. It's like watching a plot unfold when you already know how the story can end.

Here's a great article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/PIMCO-goe ... et=&ccode=
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: US Bonds are CRISPY BURNT TOAST

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Spiking interest rates as bond values plumet. QE cubed right around the corner. QE is now the disaplined monitary policy in helicopter Bens mind. Dow headed into the high teens (~16-18k). Fed running out of ink and paper to print money with. Soon to be followed, hyper-inflation and collapse of the house built by cards. Yes, its going to get ugly.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Yes they are. I cashed out last month of the last government bonds I had. Normally I get a bunch of sales crap from the brokers, about what a great rate of return I was getting for what I had - am I sure I want to sell, and what other great funding vehicles they have, blah, blah, but this time they both (two different companies) just said they would get on it immediately, and how did I want the check.

That was the most telling indication I've had that (despite what they might try to sell you based on their company party line) they themselves don't believe in them anymore.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Will they have value on the other side of the crash? I'm inclined to think not, but don't know.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smalltimeopn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 am

"I cashed out of the last government bonds I had..."

I'm about to do the same thing.
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm

The US bonds will have the same value as many of the old 19th and 20th century stock certificates. The advantage to the worthless stock certificates is that many have superb engraving and also some historical significance.

Can you say "Fire sale" time?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Crud. My 401K is with JPM and I cannot cashout for other reasons. Can't find a good choice in what's availible.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Mossy wrote:Crud. My 401K is with JPM and I cannot cashout for other reasons. Can't find a good choice in what's availible.

What choices does your plan offer?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Mossy wrote:Will they have value on the other side of the crash? I'm inclined to think not, but don't know.

Yes. Wallpaper.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:What choices does your plan offer?
Words. Lots and lots of words. Darn little I can figure out what they mean, aside from "this is a high risk, high profit fund" sort of general description. The print is too small for me to read easily (I'll be getting a fresnell magnifier when I find one), so I get a splitting headache trying to figure out what they mean. The descriptions enter a decision tree type outline, but the final lines are vague and dependant on interpretation.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote:What choices does your plan offer?
Words. Lots and lots of words. Darn little I can figure out what they mean, aside from "this is a high risk, high profit fund" sort of general description. The print is too small for me to read easily (I'll be getting a fresnell magnifier when I find one), so I get a splitting headache trying to figure out what they mean. The descriptions enter a decision tree type outline, but the final lines are vague and dependant on interpretation.

I can't be a financial advisor, have enough trouble advising myself, but I suspect there are enough people here with some experience that would help you decipher what your fund choices are, if you would post the fund names. Sometimes they are funds that your managing company own themselves that are designed to mimic other more common funds. In those cases, for the purpose of selection, you can just follow the common funds. For example my 401K just added a new commodities fund that is designed to copy the DJP commodity fund. So I can follow the progress of it by entering DJP on Yahoo Finance - it's not exact, but close enough to determine whether I want to use it, and if it's doing good, or bad.

Just a thought...
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks, Camero. I have to get the magnifier. Probably be out of touch for a week, traveling.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smalltimeopn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:44 pm

smalltimeopn wrote:"I cashed out of the last government bonds I had..."

I'm about to do the same thing.

Done deal! Time to buy more Ag.
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silverhalide » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 am

Every investment has a timeframe. It really depends what Bernanke does immediately after QE2. Seeing that the money multiplier has dropped like a rock since the first of the year conditions are actually starting to become favorable for a bond rally. If the money multiplier stays weak and weekly fed data shows obvious draining of liquidity after the QE2 program. I will likely buy treasuries (which I rarely do) buy short ETFs and hold my gold positions.
silverhalide

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions