Presidential Address thread

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Presidential Address thread

Postby theo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Anybody else watching? No surprises so far. "Its all Bush's fault, we need a balanced approach, the TEA party House is unreasonable " etc.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Presidential Address thread

Postby Neckro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 pm

It's all true? Mostly.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby PolishPunisher » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Republicans may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. $4 of cuts for every $1 of closed loopholes, sounds pretty good to me. They had better hope they win in the court of public opinion, if a default occurs.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Most of the cuts are illusionary. Future spending cuts were promised to Reagan and Bush 41; they were both duped.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:33 pm

PolishPunisher wrote:Republicans may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. $4 of cuts for every $1 of closed loopholes, sounds pretty good to me. They had better hope they win in the court of public opinion, if a default occurs.

They aren't cuts, they are declines in the rate of spending growth. Its like saying "I'm spending $15 a day now on an income of $10 a day, and I plan to spend $17 a day next year, but I'm going to promise a cut of $1 and only spend $16 a day."
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:
PolishPunisher wrote:Republicans may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. $4 of cuts for every $1 of closed loopholes, sounds pretty good to me. They had better hope they win in the court of public opinion, if a default occurs.

They aren't cuts, they are declines in the rate of spending growth. Its like saying "I'm spending $15 a day now on an income of $10 a day, and I plan to spend $17 a day next year, but I'm going to promise a cut of $1 and only spend $16 a day."

Good point.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Boehner's response was short, clear, blunt, perfectly on point. Anyone that couldn't understand it, well, they deserve what they get.

Well, we're all going to get it anyway in the end, because there is no "fixing" this; it's just a matter of how much it can be delayed, and how soft or hard the landing is. Me, I would rather have a protracted softer landing and waste most of my preps as unneeded, than than to have a nasty hard jolt and be able to say I told so.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 pm

from 0bamas "performance"

"Understand — raising the debt ceiling does not allow Congress to spend more money. It simply gives our country the ability to pay the bills that Congress has already racked up."

am i missing something ?

seems like the same thing to me...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote: They aren't cuts, they are declines in the rate of spending growth. Its like saying "I'm spending $15 a day now on an income of $10 a day, and I plan to spend $17 a day next year, but I'm going to promise a cut of $1 and only spend $16 a day."

That's what Clinton did. He never balanced the budget, he reduced the increase some. He also expended consumable assets set aside for emergencies (military supplies and the oil reserves) that Bush II had to replace. Bush II caught flak for the expenditures.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions