Nailed It

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Nailed It

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:43 pm

This guy on Zerohedge makes a great argument for PMs. I would truly like to hear a counter opinion that can soundly dismiss his points. Here's the portion I really like:

"Gold bubble?

Much ink (and binary 1s and 0s) has been committed to the topic of whether or not gold is in a bubble. For the record, my view is a clear and unequivocal no. There are a number of factors that help form my opinion, everything from the estimate of the ratio of paper gold to physical gold (45:1) to the amount of outstanding USD vs the total value of all gold currently above ground (hundreds of trillions vs. approximately $6tr). In my opinion, gold isn’t in a bubble, but rather is reflecting the largest bubble on the planet, US Treasuries. Over time, foreign central banks will hold fewer and fewer US Treasuries as Chairman Bernanke and company consistently devalue the dollar. As this process unfolds, many central banks will opt to own precious metals, commodities and commodity based currencies. However, with most foreign central banks holding over 60% of their reserves in USD, the flight out of dollars and in to other alternatives will cause bottlenecks and price spikes which could cause some assets to see their prices rise exponentially. Of course, this isn’t to suggest that gold won’t fall in price from time to time, it certainly will. In fact, given the recent price rise over the last few days, a correction in gold could be forthcoming soon. But given the strong demand for alternatives to the USD, gold will always be bought on dips. In my view, investors should not view gold as a commodity but as a currency. True, you can’t buy much with gold these days given our legal tender laws, but it will generally protect your wealth better than other fiat currencies and certainly better than the soon-to-be devalued US Treasuries once rates eventually start to rise. Further, as the world searches for an alternative to the USD as reserve currency, gold is almost certain to find some kind of role in that new economic reality."

And the link to the whole article:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-macro-commentary-cost-fiat-money-and-gold

So Bernank, what were you saying about gold not being money?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Nailed It

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:26 am

What is the opposite of a bubble? An artificial hole? That's where gold and silver has been.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions