US Postal Service warns it could default...

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

US Postal Service warns it could default...

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:45 am

Oh well...so much for those forever stamps! :roll:

US Postal Service warns it could default

The US Postal Service warned on Friday that it could default on payments it owes the federal government, just days after the US government itself narrowly averted a default.

The government's mail service said it lost $3.1 billion in the period from April to June, blaming "the anemic state of the economy" and the growing popularity of electronic communications over old-fashioned letters.

As a result of its mounting losses, the US Postal Service said it would not be able to make a legally required $5.5 billion payment in September to a health-benefits trust fund.

"Absent substantial legislative change, the Postal Service will be forced to default on payments to the federal government," it said in a statement.

Dating back to 1775, the US Postal Service was once a crucial branch of the federal government, but in recent years it has come under increasing fire from critics who consider it bureaucratic and inefficient.

In July, it unveiled plans to identify nearly 3,700 under-used post offices around the United States for possible closure. The Post Office has been hemorrhaging billions of dollars in recent years.
-END-

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/us-postal- ... 59453.html
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: US Postal Service warns it could default...

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am

Wow, forever is a lot shorter than I thought it was.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cerulean » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Funny, for a long time the USPS said their biggest revenue stream came from bulk mail. Last I heard, bulk mail was WAY DOWN due to the Recession, which just entered it's fourth year (don't let anybody tell you otherwise). I guess the USPS couldn't handle a multi-year dry spell in junk mail volumes.

It is time to end the government-granted monopoly on carrying first-class envelopes. Problem solved. We already trust other carriers with parcels... why not everything else?
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Bring back the Pony Express.

Those guys made a tidy profit and they got the babes.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm

barrytrot wrote:Bring back the Pony Express.

Those guys made a tidy profit and they got the babes.

Yeah, how cool would it be to pull into a gas station and have a gassed up and ready to go Mustang or Charger or Pinto -- well, not a Pinto -- waiting for the next leg of the journey?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:Oh well...so much for those forever stamps! :roll:

The government's mail service said it lost $3.1 billion in the period from April to June, blaming "the anemic state of the economy" and the growing popularity of electronic communications over old-fashioned letters.

As a result of its mounting losses, the US Postal Service said it would not be able to make a legally required $5.5 billion payment in September to a health-benefits trust fund.

-END-

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/us-postal- ... 59453.html

Does anyone really believe it's cheap stamps, high gas, to many store fronts, or that new "e-mail" thing causing this? Think again. :roll:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Does anyone really believe it's cheap stamps, high gas, to many store fronts, or that new "e-mail" thing causing this? Think again. :roll:

Is it the 69# boxes of pennies? :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 pm

It is actually the the IMF's standard currency is the SPR, Special Drawing Rights.

That is the currency of the International Postal Union. As the dollar falls against that standard, the Postal Service ( not the Post Office), must raise its prices, especially for international mail rates.

if you don't know the difference between the Postal Service and the Post Office, you need to do more research. Also look into the US/USA differential. They are also two different political things.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:36 am

Cost of mailing a letter in Canada and Mexico is much higher than the US. Their rates better reflect the true cost of the service provided.

A one ounce airmail letter I drop in my neighborhood mailbox to a European relative costs me $0.98. They live in a remote part of Germany and have no internet access and sometimes unreliable phone service.

A bag of peanut M&Ms cost me $1.25 from a vending machine. Which is the better deal? The USPS is a victim of its longevity. People who still use the mail EXPECT (and more likely DEMAND) the rates to be low. I doubt whether the true cost of delivering a letter in the early 1960s was a scant 4 cents. Of couse, subsidies played a part of that, but they have to be paid by someone. It's imperative to include that in the actual cost of the service.

First, the Postal Service should can their advertising. What purpose does that serve? A reliable consulting firm should be hired to calculate the true cost of delivering a letter nationwide as well as parcels, etc. I'm sure that'd be scary. All the more reason to place the USPS in the history books where it can proudly be a part of our nation's legacy.

Commonly referred to as "snail mail," the USPS is actually "dinosaur mail."
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Wow, forever is a lot shorter than I thought it was.

Thank you for this.

So the internet ruins letters. I dont' know the numbers but don't ebay, and amazon help compensate for this. I mean how much crap gets purchased online now?
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 pm

I personally like the postal service and am happy to use there subsidized services. It is usually the cheapest way to ship stuff especially on the smaller items like coins. If they go under shipping coins is going to get a lot more expensive!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 pm

;) Lets start a face to face chain across the USA :o :) Or at least the Redoubt States
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions