Learn from History

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Learn from History

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 am

How are we doing?

Edward Gibbon, in his timeless 1776 exposition of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire suggested five conditions that signalled the decline of empire:

1. Concern with displaying affluence instead of building wealth.
2. Obsession with sex and perversions of sex.
3. Art becomes freakish and sensationalistic instead of creative and original.
4. Widening disparity between very rich and very poor.
5. Increased demand to live off the state.

from Azizonomics

Check, check, check, check and check. That means checkmate for America as we know it. However, as has been mentioned on realcent so many times before, nobody knows the future. Perhaps a remnant of citizens can cling to the principles of the Constitution to return us to freedom.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Learn from History

Postby walt2727 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Halfway through volume two and i had to take a break from reading it. Too discouraging when I realized the similarities we are experiencing now are more and more ominous.
What did I read instead? Atlas Shrugged, Tappan on Survival, The Modern Survival Retreat. Hmm, Gibbon is looking better and better. :cry:
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions