US Economy seems DEAD right now...

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

US Economy seems DEAD right now...

Postby NHsorter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 am

Our small family business is over 100 years old. My grandfather swears that our monthly sales figures are a leading economic indicator. I believe him. In the 12 years that I have been here it is like clockwork. Uncanny, I tell ya. I really should start betting on Quarterly GDP figures.

The last 2 months here have been awful. The last 3 weeks even worse. At one point I grabbed my cell phone and checked to make sure that our phone lines were still working. We've got the reserves to make it through bad spells, but this is making us start to think about scaling back and we have never laid off anyone, ever.

15 employee company - making industrial solvent blends - primary customers are packaging companies and commercial print shops. It's a dying industry, I know, but we have been diversifying and growing sales yearly - at least until this year. Scary stuff guys... hope I'm wrong.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: US Economy seems DEAD right now...

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

wow. Sorry to hear this for you personally. I hope you're wrong. But I fear you're right.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Oh, man. You are right on the bull's eye for all the greenie scare stuff. I'm amazed you have not been legislated out of business already. Good luck.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby schockergd » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 am

That's pretty scary.

I don't know that it's 'all over' , but we've been in a period of classic stagflation for about 2 years now.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 am

Maybe I did not do a good job of expressing myself in the earlier post. I don't think that it's "all over", I just think that we are certainly in for more recession rather than recovery at this point. I don't think that we have reached the bottom of the market. The jobs numbers today are NO surprise to me. And honestly the atmosphere right now feels worse than in the 2008 collapse. So hold on. Our company will survive I have no doubt, but the next couple of years are not gonna be much fun. When reps call us from Monster.com to ask if we have any hiring plans I just laugh out loud at them and tell them to call back in Nov 2012 for an update. We are not even thinking about it until then. I should probably be sharpening pencils right now instead of posting on RC!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:23 am

0 new jobs added...Wow
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 pm

We are still far better off than Mexico, and Mexico is still far better off than most 3rd world countries, so we have a lot of depth under us before we hit rock bottom.

No doubt saying that around some of our politicians would simply encourage them to steal more.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:42 am

I just don't think it's possible for our elected officials to make SO many wrong economic decisions SO frequently. The law of averages states that there will be right decisions occurring over time even if those making them are uneducated. It seems that as the spike is driven deeper into the economy that all this is intentional and not random. Really is unfortunate.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:24 pm

KCC, what's good for them and their backers is bad for the rest of us. The purpose of the recent activity is to loot the country, IMO.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Mossy wrote:KCC, what's good for them and their backers is bad for the rest of us. The purpose of the recent activity is to loot the country, IMO.

Check out my new avatar. "Them and their backers" are on the bottom of the chess board. "Us" is on top.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions