Invest in Mexican Pesos?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Invest in Mexican Pesos?

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 pm

I'm watching Mexican Pesos creep up on the USD. Now 12.33/1

Did they learn their lesson in the 80's? This might be a solid currency to invest in. As corrupt as the government may be(maybe worse than the USA). They may not be stupid. It seems like they really tried to hang on to silver coins longer than most nations.

Mexico really has a lot going for it. They have everything they need to kick ass economically ,if they wanted to.

Is there a big entitlement spending problem there? NO.

Do they have to have a defense budget? NO.

Their problems just come here to the USA, then we borrow, IE print, money to either take care of Mexican citizens or subsidize the cheap labor they supply.

Go long on Pesos?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Invest in Mexican Pesos?

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 am

Who is their biggest trading partner? What happens if that country goes under?

If their government corruption gets much worse will the people (finally) rise up and start over, probably with a new currency?

The last company I worked at had several plants in MX. The employees received probably a dozen different types of subsidies in their weekly checks. There was housing and groceries and several others. Sure, it seems like the company was offering these benefits, but they were all by gov't decree. It kind of smells like entitlements to me.

The process whereby one gets a position at Pemex is rotten to the core. The employees sell their company badges when they retire to someone looking for work.

The roads mostly suck. Gasoline costs a lot there because of taxes to build/maintain roads, but the money is spent elsewhere. More Pemex goodness.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:29 pm

The united states also liquidated debt to Mexico a few months back. We could see some response from that. I bought a few pesos, but nothing huge.

I'm more interested in the yuan long term to be honest.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 am

I've heard from a couple of sources that Mexico may back their currency with silver in the next 6-9 months. Don't know whether that's fact, conjecture or wishful thinking on the part of those who told me. Makes sense, though, to solidify the Peso as a stable and desired currency.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:I've heard from a couple of sources that Mexico may back their currency with silver in the next 6-9 months. Don't know whether that's fact, conjecture or wishful thinking on the part of those who told me. Makes sense, though, to solidify the Peso as a stable and desired currency.

That could make it a little more desirable. I haven't heard anything about this. Keep me posted.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:10 pm

John_doe wrote:
Know Common Cents wrote:I've heard from a couple of sources that Mexico may back their currency with silver in the next 6-9 months. Don't know whether that's fact, conjecture or wishful thinking on the part of those who told me. Makes sense, though, to solidify the Peso as a stable and desired currency.

That could make it a little more desirable. I haven't heard anything about this. Keep me posted.

Learn all you can about the plan of Hugo Salinas Price. Here are a few links:

http://www.oroyfinanzas.com/2011/08/entrevista-a-hugo-salinas-price/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-great-flaw-in-the-free-trade-theory-and-other-vain-beliefs-hoaxes-and-follies-2011-8
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:30 pm

shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:00 pm

If you invest in Pesos, hopefully there isn't a repeat of 1993.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 am

shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions