A complete disconnect from reality.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

A complete disconnect from reality.

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 pm

$200K Per Job? Timothy Geithner Says White House Jobs Plan Is Still a Bargain

By BEN FORER
Sept. 26, 2011

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner didn't dispute a Harvard economist's estimate that each job in the White House's jobs plan would cost $200,000, but said the pricetag is the wrong way to measure the bill's worth. :o :!:

And he also pointed out, in an interview today with ABC News' David Muir, that there is no other option on the table for getting the economy moving and putting more people back to work.

"You've got to think about the costs of the alternatives," Geithner said when asked about Harvard economist Martin Feldstein's calculation that each job created by President Obama's American Jobs Act would cost taxpayers about $200,000.

"If government does nothing, it does nothing now because they're scared by politics or they want to debate what's perfect, then there will be fewer Americans back to work, the economy will be weaker," he said.

"We can borrow money for 10 years as the government of the United States because people have confidence in this country at less than 2 percent," he said. "The responsible path now is to take advantage of the unique position we're in as a country. People have a lot of confidence in us. Let's take advantage of that now to do things that help growth in the short-term."
PHOTO: Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is interviewed by ABC News' David Muir
ABC News
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is... View Full Size
PHOTO: Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is interviewed by ABC News' David Muir
ABC News
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is interviewed by ABC News' David Muir.
Geithner: Economy Growing, But Not Fast Enough Watch Video
Tax Increases and the New 'Confidence Men' Book Watch Video
Timothy Geithner Interview: Was Downgrade Averted? Watch Video

Geithner told Muir he believes there is a "very good chance" the Jobs Act will pass because the proposals have seen bipartisan support in the past and the cost of inaction is far too high.

"If the alternative plan is for Washington to do nothing, that's unacceptable," Geithner said. "If the alternative plan is to sit there and say we're going to cut our way out of this by just cutting spending, that would make the economy weaker. Or we're going to sit here and just complain about regulation. ... That will not do anything to help the average family now still suffering so much from the crisis."

At the same time as Geithner is trying to help spur the U.S. economy, he is pushing European leaders to act quickly in the face of a looming crisis.

After a generation of high government spending, Greece is on the brink of bankruptcy and if it collapses it could take down other European economies and leave American banks with $41 billion in losses.

In the last week, the average American's 401k has lost $7,000 because of Europe's instability.

"It hurts people very directly and very quickly when stock prices fall and the value of their pensions fall," Geithner said. "[Greece] borrowed a lot and they spent too much. ... t's going to take them years and years to dig their way out of that. ... I think they have time. But not very much time."

[color=#000000]Even in the face of a stagnant economy at home, Geithner said there are signs that things are turning around.

"If you talk to companies around the country like I do, you'll see that something -- something very promising is starting to happen right now," he said. "Companies are starting to relook at where they produce, American companies, companies that moved things to Mexico and China decades and years ago are starting to rethink it.

"With all our challenges as a country, most companies that have the opportunity to produce or to compete around the world, they'll still say it's better to be in a company headquartered in America and we still have the strongest fundamentals," he said.

If it was the [i]wrong thing for Greece (and the Euro Zone) to do, how in the Hell is it the right thing for us to do??!

Here is prima facie evidence of the complete disconnect from academia/politicos vs. real life laws of economics & business.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: A complete disconnect from reality.

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Can I just HAVE the 200k? I promise I will spend it ALL to stimulate the economy if he wants.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I hear your pain...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby texcollex » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Can I just HAVE the 200k? I promise I will spend it ALL to stimulate the economy if he wants.

+1

Of course you can consider that its a good way to launder some of the fiat they're printing.

Tex
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm

And I thought my country is in trouble
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Where is that money going, anyhow?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Did Geithner also mention that he intentionally missed his last 5 shock treatments? Doubt it. IMHO, he's the 4th Stooge. Really makes me wonder if he actually believes what he's saying or has morphed into the presidential ventriloquist dummy that most of us believe he is.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Beau » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Mossy wrote:Where is that money going, anyhow?

he goes to Wal Mart and buys a pack of paper then he trades it for the $200,000
that is where the paper money is going. :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone got a better answer ?

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions