What Happened to Freedom of Speech in this Country?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

What Happened to Freedom of Speech in this Country?

Postby beauanderos » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:25 am

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Happened to Freedom of Speech in this Country?

Postby Neckro » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 am

Haha, firing him for that comment. I've seen far worse hate spewed from their commentators. Hell Bill o'Reilly is nothing more then a hate monger who should've been fired long time ago. But he makes them money, so they wont hold him to the same standards.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 am

Isn't NPR a private company? Aren't the Amendments such as the first meant to limit the government from encroaachment?

What did his "contract" say, Im sure he had one. Did he violate the terms? How about Rick Sanchez, who apparently was also fired for remarks made from CNN.

How about Helen Thomas? Didn't the government fire her? Who pays the "press corp"? She didn't claim rights violations, or pursue legal action.

This ought to turn into a good conversation, so before we all begin, lets start by reviewing the amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Seems to me CONgress has made no law that is affecting Williams, Sanchez, or Thomas and that would mean their rights have not been violated.

What do ya'll think?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby Neckro » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

Yeah, I mistook NPR as a Fox Subsidiary. And government can not limit your speach, unless it falls under the criminal threats and those lines. Private entities can.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 am

My employees could say something to me or our customers that would get them fired.

My wife (nursing instructor) could easily say something to get her fired.

You could also get thrown off this forum for what you write.

BTW, ef NPR! How's that for exercising freedom.
Last edited by Thogey on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:35 am

Neckro wrote:Haha, firing him for that comment. I've seen far worse hate spewed from their commentators. Hell Bill o'Reilly is nothing more then a hate monger who should've been fired long time ago. But he makes them money, so they wont hold him to the same standards.

This is a sincere question: What is a hate monger?

I've read this term before but not sure what is means.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:39 am

here is a constitutional law 101:

1. a "right" is a freedom from government, not private, action. e.g. the state shall make no law abridging the freedom of . . .

2. you need state action to have had your rights violated. Is NPR the state? its a close call.

3. you have no right to be free from the consequences of your speech if those consequences come from private actors.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Neckro » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:43 am

Thogey wrote:
Neckro wrote:Haha, firing him for that comment. I've seen far worse hate spewed from their commentators. Hell Bill o'Reilly is nothing more then a hate monger who should've been fired long time ago. But he makes them money, so they wont hold him to the same standards.

This is a sincere question: What is a hate monger?

I've read this term before but not sure what is means.

1.)A person who uses political beliefs or passions of any kind as a platform to express their hatred for another individual. 2.)A media personality who spreads hate under the guise of a political affiliation or a religious belief.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I think calling O'Reilly a hate monger is a little much. He is sometimes reactionary and his opinions are occasionally ill-informed, but I'm not going to call him a hate monger just because I might disagree with him.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cptindy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 am

Being a NPR listener this situation caused me to question beyond the firing and into the "Political Correctness" crusade. Controlling media has been controlling our view for quite some time with their typical propaganda movement.

As an employee of anyone you are subject to their interpretations and scrutiny.

At the core, this scenario as other similar situations recently, there is the "view," the "perception," and its implied reaction. Signaling that we can never say or do anything that may hinder a peaceful coexistence with anyone. To be Politically Correct is to be "conformed" to this understanding. Even if this means typical common emotion and response to be overlooked and kept in check. At all levels one must never slander culture here in the state of SAM.

Unless of course it is a Christian, he is fair game, as the destruction of our principle Founding Fathers message is to be destroyed.
"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"
"The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."
H.L. Mencken
Cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions