Velocity of Money

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Velocity of Money

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

I think you're right - by the time it is widely recognized that the genie is out of the bottle, the velocity will quickly go to huge numbers and it will be too late for anyone to react and change strategy. And (as happens during hyper events) there will actually be a shortage of money for a time, until they start printing those $1000 bills again. Then $100,000. Then $1,000,000. etc.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverEye » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

A big chunk of the Baby Boomers are starting to retire, and the rest are thinking about it. There are millions of 50+ who are unemployed and gave up the job search and decided to scrimp along until they can collect Social Security. That's a lot of people who used to spend a lot of money on cars and gas and eating out for lunch and buying work clothes and celebrating promotions, who now don't. Lots of them are no longer paying for their kids' college (see student loan increases for the last decade). Stay at home, don't need the gardener, mow your own lawn.

The only way out I see is to open the immigration floodgates, get some young people in here making money and spending money, and kick the can along a few more decades. I don't know if I'm for that or against it, but there's not many other options to pay for all these old people.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:47 am

cupronickel wrote:Once prices start to rise, and people realize the value of their currency is decreasing, they will rush to buy anything. It is only then that the velocity of money accelerates out of control.
There are stories from 1929 Germany of workers demanding to be paid at lunch time, so that they could go out to spend their paychecks before prices went up further.
The velocity of currency is just a way to measure the demand for that currency. There is no way that the Fed Reserve can pull back on supply, once the demand craters.
Usually, just the opposite happens, as the Gov't needs more money too as salaries and expenses increase.

this is true. however, to some extent we are in deflation now that the govt is combatting by printing. its difficult to tell if its going to work. from the govts view, they don't even need to create inflation, just the expectation of inflation. for example, i have been putting off buying a new car. we're at 150,000 miles and still going strong. will probably get one this fall. however, if i thought the price was going to be 10%-15% higher than today, i would buy today. so the fed is going to try to create this impression, which may be a false one. you need to think about large purchases you have upcoming, and have a plan about when to buy them. the last thing you want to do is make decisions out of emotions rather than a plan.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:however, to some extent we are in deflation now that the govt is combatting by printing.

Yes. But the gov't is going to overshoot their target by a bunch. They always do. Nobody in the federal gov't seems to realize that on a national level, for a nation as big as the USA, there's a huge lead time. Policy that we implement now won't affect anything for years.

It's like adjusting a shower in an unfamiliar hotel. Hmm, it's a little cold, crank up the heat, nothing yet, crank it up more, oops too hot, turn it down, ouch way too hot!, turn it down more, oops a little cold, turn it up, still too cold, turn it up more, oops too hot..

Inflation is coming. It has to. But who knows when, and what might happen in the short term. Physical holdings only. Do not buy leveraged PM's.

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby commoncents » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:31 pm

Since all my copper pennies and nickels are wrapped and taped into boxes, their velocity is zero. Oops, could it be my fault ? <grin>

When the combination of national situation and the public's awareness of the situation changes, the velocity of money can change in one morning. On December 7, 1941 the velocity of money probably changed a whole lot in an hour or two. The problem is such events are hard to predict and the public's response to them also can be hard to predict. I expect 'gusty' weather and changeable wind direction.
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Stagflation is coming...or better yet, its here.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions