rental property and potential dollar collaps

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: rental property and potential dollar collaps

Postby franklin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 am

Morsecode:
I have a house open in case you end up needing to move. :D

I've had two guys like you as renters. Every now and then, I would give them a free month rent or pick up their utility bill, just because I didn't have the hassle of chasing down rent or going over to solve every little problem with the house that they might have brought onto themselves.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Perhaps some of you with properties could build up a stash of manures, and other soil amendments..... then as the dollar declines, have various tenants, farm their lots and pay you in potatoes or something.... the mortgages could be cleared with PM sales. Youd be fed until things pick back up, then you use your equity to mortgage a bunch more properties or whatever else.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

I have actually seen the activity for interest in renting pick up quite a bit. I do not even have to offer specials like I was 2 to 3 years ago.

Being a landlord is definitely not as easy as people make it sound. I have definitely learned a lot in the process.

I have management companies manage my properties; it makes it a little easier dealing with the tenants (ie eviction etc); however, even though you pay the management company to take care and rent out your property, they will never care about your property as much as you do.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Here in Indy last week, a tenant was evicted from a rental house and the same day the former tenant shot and killed the landlord.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Thus a good reason to have a management company deal with the tenants.

I don't know my tenants and don't know their phone #s and they don't know mine; kind of the way I like it.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:20 pm

It isnt hard to look up the owner of ANY property at the county clerks office.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't think many tenants are that savvy; most of the time when they are evicted they get out of dodge anyway and leave you with a big mess.

Mine are also deeded to LLCs so a little bit of an extra layer.

The management company is also the one who sends the notice of eviction so I think the tenant would probably be more upset with them since it is their name all over the letterhead.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions