Hurricane Irene

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Hurricane Irene

Postby Country » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Still out of power. :? Going on 4 days now; could be a week before I get power back....

Please bear with me updating those coin stats.... Thanks... :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Been there done that...how is the gas supply and other necessities...any looting...Dont forget to change the oil in the generator. Thinking about you and everyone affected by Irene on the eastern seaboard...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 pm

fasteddy wrote:Been there done that...how is the gas supply and other necessities...any looting...Dont forget to change the oil in the generator. Thinking about you and everyone affected by Irene on the eastern seaboard...

Living back in the woods has it's drawbacks when you get a hurricane. Them trees do fall down on your power line. So, while most of the folks have got their power back already, I have to wait for the chainsaw-pole crews to do the final cleanup. I think they will get me hooked up tomorrow, as they've only got 156 outages to go in my very local area.

Got me a 500 gallon propane tank, so I could last quite a while. Folks around here know each other, so looting never occurs. You could say we're just backwoods "Country" folks looking out for each other.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Still out of power. :? Going on 5 days (120 hours) now; only 81 folks out of power in the county including me.

Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Country wrote:Still out of power. :? Going on 5 days (120 hours) now; only 81 folks out of power in the county including me.

You might as well just cut the electric cables coing into your home as stay off the grid. Then when things really do go bad, you and the Amish will have a leg up on the rest of society. :)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Just got power back.... 135 hours without power...
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Thank God you had a generator and were well prepared. Hopefully the next storm out there will miss you...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Good to read you have power, Country. In 1983 Hurricane Alicia left us without power for nearly four weeks. We lived somewhat in the woods then...not anymore...we now live within a mile of a shopping mall. 2008 Hurricane Ike left us without power for three days...I bought my second generator then. So Country you have a stand alone generator running on Propane...nice prep.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions