October 2011 market

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: October 2011 market

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:28 am

Part (but only part) of the recent gold/silver rally was a relative weakening of the dollar.

Overnight last night the currency plays on the dollar reversed again, and gold/silver is down as a result. Gold nearly 1:1 proportional, while silver is down 2:1 (as it tends to overreact, unfortunately).

In USD, Gold remains over 1710, silver over 34.

The rest of the world seems to be simmering, waiting for something to happen.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:44 pm

With market down 180 just before 1pm, as I'm coming back from lunch, I hear the CNBC talking heads do their "call the close" consensus. Every one of the 3 or 4 "experts" insist that "we've seen the low for the day" - will continue to move up toward the end of the day. Only one hedges slightly, despite agreeing. Actual close? Down 276. Just another example that the talking heads don't know crap. Do your own due diligence (DYODD).

Equities end the month up, but on a two-day down note, and below 12,000.

The yen sell-off by the Japanese moved the yen/dollar ratio by more than 5% (valley to peak), which was a part of the USD index change which affected PM prices. The nominal yen/dollar price change was actually more like 3%.

Silver and gold spent the day waffling. Gold tried to go up earlier in the day, but the continuing rise in the dollar (in the afternoon, driven by a decline in the Euro, vs what happened overnight on the yen) dragged it down, and that continued for both gold and silver after equities close. To recap the USD index, the USD index is composed of the following ratios, and clearly the top three dominate with over 80% of the influence:

Euro (EUR), 58.6% weight
Japanese Yen (JPY) 12.6% weight
Pound sterling (GBP), 11.9% weight
Canadian dollar (CAD), 9.1% weight
Swedish krona (SEK), 4.2% weight and
Swiss franc (CHF) 3.6% weight

From Friday, the Euro is down 2% and the yen down 3% (with the pound little changed), causing the index itself to be down about 2.2%. 2.2% on 1742 is a change of 38, so gold (at 1716 as I write this) has actually more than held its own against the change in the dollar. 2.2% on silver's 35.3 Friday close is .77, would would suggest a price of silver at 34.5, so with silver actually at 34.3, silver has dropped just a bit more than the change in the dollar, which for silver isn't too bad, since it tends to overcompensate on news like this.

I will continue my talking to myself tomorrow, in a new thread on November 2011, which I will cross-link to this one.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm

I hope you don't really feel like you are talking to yourself. I enjoy reading your posts and market insight. Thanks!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 pm

NHsorter wrote:I hope you don't really feel like you are talking to yourself. I enjoy reading your posts and market insight. Thanks!

Thanks. :) I don't put myself up on any pedestal, and I don't claim to offer major revelations, ever, much less regularly, but it helps me sometimes - in organizing my thoughts - to put them briefly in writing.

If others get some benefit from it, that's all the better. And any discussion that starts from it, if informative, is excellent also.
68Camaro

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

I enjoy reading your posts and market insight. Thanks!

Agreed.

+1
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions