Russia Going into Ukraine

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Russia Going into Ukraine

Postby natsb88 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Today Crimea held a referendum offering voters the choice of seceding from the Ukraine and seeking annexation by Russia or remaining in the Ukraine with more autonomy. Supposedly 95% voted to leave the Ukraine and join Russia.

What the US should do is stay the heck out of Crimea's business. But what we probably will do is slap all sorts of sanctions on Russia. Kerry has already said that the US and "the international community" will not recognize the Crimean vote for secession and that they are still a part of the Ukraine.

I'm pretty sure the US decided to declare independence from unfair rule one time, and didn't let third parties tell them what to do. Of course, we also had a part of the country wish to leave later, and the existing federal government waged a very bloody civil war to stop it.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:37 pm

So hard to get clear info here... but am I missing something or is it usual political nonsense? I fail to see why russia has less of a justification to be in crimea then we do to be in afghanistan, or iraq, or perhaps a much better example is libya. We come off as hypocrites on this imo.

well you see, were the US if we want to go out of our way to effect the politics of another nation including slaughtering its leaders, its no big deal. If russia moves in its totally different and really bad!!! :? :roll:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm

1 The illigitimate Ukraine government doesn't recognize doesn't recognize the legitimate Crimea government.
2 A referendum is held to define who is legitimate.
3 This is one hundred years since Archduke Ferdinand was killed to start the great war.

1+2+3=A very exciting year.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:43 pm

natsb88 wrote:Today Crimea held a referendum offering voters the choice of seceding from the Ukraine and seeking annexation by Russia or remaining in the Ukraine with more autonomy. Supposedly 95% voted to leave the Ukraine and join Russia.

What the US should do is stay the heck out of Crimea's business. But what we probably will do is slap all sorts of sanctions on Russia. Kerry has already said that the US and "the international community" will not recognize the Crimean vote for secession and that they are still a part of the Ukraine.

I'm pretty sure the US decided to declare independence from unfair rule one time, and didn't let third parties tell them what to do. Of course, we also had a part of the country wish to leave later, and the existing federal government waged a very bloody civil war to stop it.

I think you can make a solid historical and demographic case for the Crimea being reinstated (after 60 years) as a part of Russia. However, the tactics Putin is using to achieve this end are highly questionable. A referendum with a 95% result is difficult to take seriously; in fact it reminds me of the elections that Saddam Hussein used to hold when he was sill in power. This election was held barely two weeks after Russia sent troops in to occupy the region, with no U.N. or international observers allowed. Putin would have had more credibility had he left open even the smallest possibility of a "no" vote. Better still he could have allowed the Ukrainian May elections to go through. I think Putin knew he had to act before the Ukrainians were allowed to express their political will. Why? Because nothing could be left to chance.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:57 pm

coppernickel wrote:1 The illigitimate Ukraine government doesn't recognize doesn't recognize the legitimate Crimea government.
2 A referendum is held to define who is legitimate.
3 This is one hundred years since Archduke Ferdinand was killed to start the great war.

1+2+3=A very exciting year.

I agree that the legitimacy of the current gov't is in question. There are a lot of claims that the February revolution was engineered by the West. While this may be true, I've not seen any proof beyond supposition and innuendo. All that aside, wouldn't the May elections (assuming they are free and fair) create a legitimate government?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Obama calls Putin.....
00Q0Q_frAHCfnraYH_600x450.jpeg
00Q0Q_frAHCfnraYH_600x450.jpeg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 809 times
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 am

TY Richard! :lol: :lol: Funny Stuff
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am

:lol: :lol: :clap: I needed a good laugh this morning.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Regarding the lists of INDIVIDUALS who have sanctions against them:

The E.U. and U.S. lists have just four names in common: two top Crimean leaders who were instrumental in the drive for secession and two Russian legislators.
From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

If this is the best and most co-operative the west and the US (us) can do, Putin owns Eastern Ukraine. Aaaaaaaaaaand, it's gone. Were I a prominate Russian, I would wear my name being on the list like a badge.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Were I a prominate Russian, I would wear my name being on the list like a badge.

From what I've read, I think they are.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:11 pm

It’s possible Russia’s relationship with Iran may be part of the reason Washington hasn’t responded more aggressively to Putin’s belligerence in Ukraine. Is the Obama administration more concerned about peace with Iran than with America’s treaties with Ukraine or confronting Russia?

From: http://www.thetrumpet.com/article/11448 ... trump-card
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Big O's plan has always been to crash the USA economy. Putin has provided an opportunity for that.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Big O's plan has always been to crash the USA economy. Putin has provided an opportunity for that.

+1
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Nine months down the road and the ruble is down some 40% and Ukraine drops her neutral status. The chess game continues . . . http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-parliamen ... 48451.html
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions