Trading/Investment Thread

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Trading/Investment Thread

Postby 68Camaro » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

68Camaro wrote:PSLV limit order at 16 filled
PSLV limit order at 15.25 open (went to 15.47 and back up)
PHYS limit order at 12.5 open

PSLV limit order at 16 FILLED
PSLV limit order at 15.25 FILLED
PHYS limit order at 12.5 FILLED

OK. How low will it go... I can set one or two lower points and chase it down a bit further, then I'm done. This is truly far lower than I expected. I considered that 32ish was possible. That would put PSLV at about 14.5ish. That was going to be my next stand.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu May 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Entertaining the idea of putting a trailing stop Buy order on AGQ. Any thoughts/recommendations on % value.

Dean, good luck with MMS today.

Buy SLV, not AGQ, here. If you want leverage use margin. Please stay away from AGQ. Although I'm staying away from silver.
HOT Pop for MMS today! Outperformed the S&P by about 5%, ending up around 4% at close.
Beat consensus...very happy trader today. :mrgreen: Still holding MMS for the medium term as a cash store and investment.
* Second quarter revenue grew 11% to $227.1 million compared to the same period last year.
* Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations increased 39% to $1.07 for the second quarter compared to adjusted diluted EPS of $0.77 in the prior-year period.
* Cash and cash equivalents totaled $183.2 million at March 31, 2011.
* Year-to-date signed awards were $904 million at May 2, 2011.

For the novice or amateur trader/investor, silver does not appear to be a buy here paper wise. Too risky, the volatility is insane.
Although if you want some cheap silver do yourself a favor and buy SLV at spot and not physical. You will make the same amount of money, and I highly doubt anyone can find silver here at spot.
I will be using margin to buy sector ETF's for awhile as swing trades. Looking for a decline in the markets tomorrow to enter a position.
I apologize for any large losses anyone endured today. Good luck everyone.
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 06, 2011 5:14 am

Good call on MMS
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TXBullion » Fri May 06, 2011 9:48 am

Whats a good way to get started in learning Technical Analysis? Is it worth it to learn and implement for trading? I have never done much with stocks, buy and sell some and make a few bucks. Probably mostly from luck but watching the boards has sparked my interest
TXBullion

Postby beauanderos » Fri May 06, 2011 10:41 am

TXBullion wrote:Whats a good way to get started in learning Technical Analysis? Is it worth it to learn and implement for trading? I have never done much with stocks, buy and sell some and make a few bucks. Probably mostly from luck but watching the boards has sparked my interest

TA works best in a vacuum, not in a market that sucks because it is manipulated. You'll be constantly second-guessing yourself... "well, normally, this would indicate that now is a good time to... but then, what will the da boyz do?"
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Glad I made the near bottom paper trades I did on Thu. It's a gut check though, especially when you read the media "experts" saying that's stupid. Between those trades (the best of which were actually negative premiums; the weak hands were jumping out of the boat) and the slight uptick today, I recovered half of my paper loss, and it won't take much more to get the rest back and go back into positive territory. Definite uptick at the closing bell and the ETFs are back to positive premiums. Hoping we're back on the train, though a slower one.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Excellent alternate commentary on what happened this week...

http://news.coinupdate.com/by-using-fal ... lver-0814/
68Camaro

Postby DeanStockwell » Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Buying some MDU tomorrow. Tracks the S&P Midcap 400 index...
Probably placing the stop ~177
Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience - unless they are still awake.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Precious- ... l?x=0&.v=1 Here's a guy who is a silver analyst who is long AGQ. He has a pretty good track record. I will admit this ETF is not for the faint of heart. I was up 75% YTD in one fund and the recent plunge took it all the way back to only 3%... but the fat lady hasn't sung yet :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 am

Picked up a small lot of AGQ @ $206.55.

Go Paper!!!!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon May 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Well dean, Looks the folks over at maxiums MMS are going to do a 2 for 1 split and increase dividends by 20%. tip of the hat for that good news.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby DeanStockwell » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm

50% of MMS position closed out.
Locked in a profit of $4.16/share, or ~5%. :mrgreen:
Still believe that MMS will be a good long term hold, especially with the dividend increase and good fundamentals.

Nice call on AGQ, Rodebaugh; also nice PSLV purchases 68camaro.

Got in MDY at 179.43 today, closed at 181.38. Limit at 183.47, stop at 178.53.

Wanting to enter into a long dollar play soon, still waiting for an entry point.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 am

Picked up an additional 20 AGQ @ 216.50.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Put in sell limit bids for PSLV at 18 and 18.6
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu May 12, 2011 7:43 am

20 more shares of AGQ added pre market @ 161.78
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 am

Junior Miners are very cheap at the moment.

If you would like for me to share a stock pick with you that I have taken on a position, then please PM me. I'm not going to publicly state the stock. It is considered a "penny stock" as it currently trades under $1. But, it trades on the AMEX, not the OTCBB or Pink Sheets. Resource reports, based on many core drilling samples, indicate a silver and zinc ore body worth well over $1 billion, and the current market cap is only $84 million. Current price reflects the status of the mine... undeveloped and in the discovery phase. You can lose all of your investment in this company, but the potential return over the next few years is outstanding.

The reply from me will be only a stock ticker symbol. Due diligence is your responsibility.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu May 12, 2011 9:24 pm

DeanStockwell wrote:50% of MMS position closed out.
Locked in a profit of $4.16/share, or ~5%. :mrgreen:
Still believe that MMS will be a good long term hold, especially with the dividend increase and good fundamentals.

Nice call on AGQ, Rodebaugh; also nice PSLV purchases 68camaro.

Got in MDY at 179.43 today, closed at 181.38. Limit at 183.47, stop at 178.53.

Wanting to enter into a long dollar play soon, still waiting for an entry point.

Exited MDY position at 183.47 on the nose. :mrgreen: Good short term profit.

Entered into a position in FAS(Financial 3x etf) for a short term play. Entry @ 28.46. Limit @ 30.52, Stop @ 27.98. Force index is negative and Stochastics appear to be saying that financials are oversold short term. ;)

Added to my core physical stack to keep net worth ratios in order, bought some Engelhard or Johnson Matthey 100 ouncers from apmex for $3655/per. Only $1.75/ounce premium.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 pm

I know this seems slightly off topic, but what program do you use to draw your charts?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby DeanStockwell » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Not off topic at all!

I use stockcharts.com mostly, I really like their interface. It's free.

For screening and occasional charting when I need specific indicators(mainly for experimenting) I use a free software called incrediblecharts. Both are very useful.
DeanStockwell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 pm

DeanStockwell wrote:Not off topic at all!

I use stockcharts.com mostly, I really like their interface. It's free.

For screening and occasional charting when I need specific indicators(mainly for experimenting) I use a free software called incrediblecharts. Both are very useful.

Hey thanks! Pretty cool site.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby dpwozney » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

Compare the three-month performance of the ProShares Ultra Silver (AGQ) with the three-month performance of the ProShares UltraShort Silver (ZSL).

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=agq&t=3 ... &q=l&c=zsl

Except for expenses, decay, etc., the two should be symmetric, with both an equal but opposite percentage/distance from the 0% line.

Also compare other time frames too, such as six-month, 1-year, and so on.
“The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Haggai 2:8)
dpwozney
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 am

dpwozney wrote:Compare the three-month performance of the ProShares Ultra Silver (AGQ) with the three-month performance of the ProShares UltraShort Silver (ZSL).

Except for expenses, decay, etc., the two should be symmetric, with both an equal but opposite percentage/distance from the 0% line.

Wow... what an interesting, and deceptively simple evaluation step! One of those smack myself in the head and ask myself why I didn't think of that, things. Hmmmm. Thanks!
68Camaro

Postby John_doe » Fri May 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Anybody heard anything on the company linkedin?
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby silverhalide » Sat May 21, 2011 3:26 pm

dpwozney wrote:Compare the three-month performance of the ProShares Ultra Silver (AGQ) with the three-month performance of the ProShares UltraShort Silver (ZSL).

What is the revelation ? IMO ETFs at best are only very short term trading vehicles.

From a long term perspective ask an investor in USO if they got a fair return from the rise of crude oil. Your chart exposes just another instance how fraudulent these ETF investments really are.
silverhalide

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Revelation is that in normal market they should be balanced, and they are not.
68Camaro

PreviousNext

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions