Flaunting the fact that they rig the markets?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Flaunting the fact that they rig the markets?

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Picked up an interesting tidbit from a commenter at ZH that goes by the name Crashisoptomistic. The S&P closed 2011 virtually unchange from the years open, within less than 10 cents in fact. 2011 close $1,257.60, off 0.003181% from the years open. Ok, that could be a coincidence, but then the poster mentions that the close on June 30th, the end of the first half, was up PRECISELY 5%. As in precise to three decimal places, 5.000%.

That is ODD.....
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Re: Flaunting the fact that they rig the markets?

Postby barrytrot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Check the last 10 years and you will see that is not the case. This is just statistical "luckiness". Whether the markets are controlled or not, the "last trade" of 500 securities would be impossible to simultaneously control without any variance.

Looking back on any historical numbers you can "imagine" various effects that are simply not really there.

NOTE: I'm not saying the markets aren't controlled, just that the fact that you can make math look "pretty" has nothing to do with that.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:01 pm

IMO, Statistical artifact, like Barry says. "They" might like (ha. Probably do.) to point the market somewhere, but I suspect that trends are all they can control.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Mossy wrote:IMO, Statistical artifact, like Barry says. "They" might like (ha. Probably do.) to point the market somewhere, but I suspect that trends are all they can control.

And all they have to control.

In fact, if all they did was cause occasional spikes that would actually do the trick.

All those "stop loss" orders being triggered is like money-in-the-bank!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions