Canadian banks safest in the world.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Canadian banks safest in the world.

Postby Ardent Listener » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 pm

"Still seeking safety? Do not let it come as a shock to learn that the safest banking sector in the world (sorry Switzerland) continues to be located in…Canada. Yup. The Great White North can really boast about this one. “Canada’s banks were named the soundest in the world for the fourth consecutive year in 2011 by the World Economic Forum, and Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney was chosen in November by leaders of the Group of 20 nations to head the Financial Stability Board. The board is charged with overseeing efforts to write new rules for international finance to help avoid another global credit crunch.”

Cheers or Geers
Wednesday February 22, 2012 10:33 AM
Jon Nadler
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: Canadian banks safest in the world.

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I need to open a savings account with our northern neighbors. ;)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Across Lake Erie Canada is closer to me than Cleveland.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 am

Not that I have the kind of money to do this, but can a US citizen open an account with a Canadian bank? Just curious.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Neckro » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am

I looked at their basic savings accounts, tfsa? its like double the us rate.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 am

I'm pretty sure US citizens can open an account up here, just you'll probably need at least
3 pieces of ID nowadays. If anyone wants I can check into what current ID requirements
are, I think I needed 3 pieces last time I opened a regular bank account.

You can't open a TFSA (Tax Free Savings Account) as those are only for Canadian residents,
a non-Canadian would run into problems there as your home country's tax authorities would
not recognize it. (A TFSA is similar to what I've read a Roth-IRA is like but more flexible.)
When I opened my TFSA brokerage account I was required to fill out a W8 if I wanted to
trade any U.S. securities.

http://www.blog.businessready.ca/what-is-a-w8-ben/

First time I've ever had to fill that out when dealing with a Canadian Bank.

Some banks and credit unions seem to be offering higher than normal rates on TFSA
deposit accounts to promote them. I'm not sure how long that will last before things
get more normalized. These higher rates aren't an inherant part of the TFSA, just
the current promotional offer of some financial institutions.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 pm

I don't see why they would not let us, after all they could lend out against whatever money is invested into savings. Im honestly thinking aboot doing this.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 pm

If you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a foreign financial account, including a bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, trust, or other type of foreign financial account, the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Internal Revenue Service by filing Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

The FBAR is required because foreign financial institutions may not be subject to the same reporting requirements as domestic financial institutions. The FBAR is a tool to help the United States government identify persons who may be using foreign financial accounts to circumvent United States law. Investigators use FBARs to help identify or trace funds used for illicit purposes or to identify unreported income maintained or generated abroad.
See: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 49,00.html

FAQs Regarding Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) - Filing Requirements
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 44,00.html
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:If you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a foreign financial account, including a bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, trust, or other type of foreign financial account, the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Internal Revenue Service by filing Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

The FBAR is required because foreign financial institutions may not be subject to the same reporting requirements as domestic financial institutions. The FBAR is a tool to help the United States government identify persons who may be using foreign financial accounts to circumvent United States law. Investigators use FBARs to help identify or trace funds used for illicit purposes or to identify unreported income maintained or generated abroad.

FAQs Regarding Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) - Filing Requirements

how can they legally tax something on foreign soil? I would like to see what Canadian law says about me investing in their banks.
Last edited by John_doe on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Neckro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

John_doe wrote:
Copper Catcher wrote:If you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a foreign financial account, including a bank account, brokerage account, mutual fund, trust, or other type of foreign financial account, the Bank Secrecy Act may require you to report the account yearly to the Internal Revenue Service by filing Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

how can they legally tax something on foreign soil? I would like to see what canadian law says about me investing in their banks.

It's America, they charge you money if you revoke your citizenship
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Neckro wrote:
John_doe wrote:

how can they legally tax something on foreign soil? I would like to see what canadian law says about me investing in their banks.

It's America, they charge you money if you revoke your citizenship

charging and collecting are two far different things.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 pm

p.s. if i renounce my citizenship and decide to apply for citizenship for another country, once my citizenship is approved im not longer able to be prosecuted under united states law. also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis. the money I look to invest has already been taxed. if they choose to chase it down thats on their own time.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

John_doe wrote:
I would like to see what Canadian law says about me investing in their banks.

Its pretty easy. Im sure a few of our banks are on the NYSE. There are 5 main ones. A strategy I like but havent implimented yet is every year or quarter (dependin on your income) purchase the bank with the highest yield. They are all similar and should balance out.

That will ensure you get the best bang for your buck and give you incoming cash for PMs
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:
John_doe wrote:
I would like to see what Canadian law says about me investing in their banks.

Its pretty easy. Im sure a few of our banks are on the NYSE. There are 5 main ones. A strategy I like but havent implimented yet is every year or quarter (dependin on your income) purchase the bank with the highest yield. They are all similar and should balance out.

That will ensure you get the best bang for your buck and give you incoming cash for PMs

I was looking for high yield savings within Canadian borders. There havent been any rumors of easing have there?
Last edited by John_doe on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby stevkc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm

John_doe wrote:also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis.

Sounds like a winning strategy.
stevkc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

stevkc wrote:
John_doe wrote:also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis.

Sounds like a winning strategy.

Investing in Canadian banks on a post tax basis does. I'm just saying if the IRS wants to go through all of that stuff they are more than welcome to. I'm not filling out the forms unless the Canadian government requires me to however.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm

there is no high yield savings that I know of. ING is at 1.5% for me at the moment.
Canadian bank stocks useually yeild between 4% - 5% the last few years.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

John_doe wrote: p.s. if i renounce my citizenship and decide to apply for citizenship for another country, once my citizenship is approved im not longer able to be prosecuted under united states law. also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis. the money I look to invest has already been taxed. if they choose to chase it down thats on their own time.

You don't have enough money for them to give you any respect, and who would you point out the illegal activity to? The way the US is set up, the judge could agree with you up and down the line, and still convict you, and throw you in prison. No, being a citizen of another country would mean nothing, IMO.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm

John_doe wrote:p.s. if i renounce my citizenship and decide to apply for citizenship for another country, once my citizenship is approved im not longer able to be prosecuted under united states law. also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis. the money I look to invest has already been taxed. if they choose to chase it down thats on their own time.

Tell that one to all the Canadians being prosecuted under US law. There are even Canadians being prosecuted under US law for crimes that didnt take place in the US. And some people wonder why the US is bankrupt.
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Mossy wrote:
John_doe wrote: p.s. if i renounce my citizenship and decide to apply for citizenship for another country, once my citizenship is approved im not longer able to be prosecuted under united states law. also if they want to get real picky i can start pointing out some of the illegal things they do on a daily basis. the money I look to invest has already been taxed. if they choose to chase it down thats on their own time.

You don't have enough money for them to give you any respect, and who would you point out the illegal activity to? The way the US is set up, the judge could agree with you up and down the line, and still convict you, and throw you in prison. No, being a citizen of another country would mean nothing, IMO.

I'll invest as I see fit. If they want to try to send me tax forms on money they have already taxed, then more power to them. I'm just saying for a group of people that already have a bad image to keep trashing it goes a long way. :lol:

They can have all the fiat they want. Once they posses all of it it becomes worthless anyways right? ;)
Last edited by John_doe on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:there is no high yield savings that I know of. ING is at 1.5% for me at the moment.
Canadian bank stocks useually yeild between 4% - 5% the last few years.

1.5% is still higher than most in the states are offering. I will look into it.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions