Percentage of People.... (looking/stacking/hoarding)

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Percentage of People.... (looking/stacking/hoarding)

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:26 pm

So I often wonder how "few" people are really awake? You know what I mean. How many people stack, hoard or just basically think about taking care of themselves in the times we are in. So I started looking at the web sites I looked at the best # of read articles and so far I have found....

"reads" on an article vs people in the US.

I know there is a lot of gray area here but if I just adjust that for "my" known family it is not a lot better. Too many heads in the sand. :shock:
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Percentage of People.... (looking/stacking/hoarding)

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm

If more than 1% of people have any kind of a prep plan I would be shocked.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverEye » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 am

If you mean 0.0009302857142857142 in percentages, so just under one hundreth of one percent, I would say that is approximately correct.

Some quick googling and very rough napkin math. There's about a billion ounces of silver above ground and tradeable. Let's say that 100 oz of silver is a hoarding unit (that being about a month's disposable income of ~$3000 for a first-world person). That only allows 10 millions hoards. Take away the gov't stockpiles around the world, corporate stockpiles of companies who use it in their industry, and silver tied up in financial warehouses for ECNs or other commercial hedges and such; leaving half?

There's about 7 billion people in the world, so let's say the 10% richest of the world have enough money to even consider building a hoard. That's 700 million people, chasing 5 million hoards. All of the people that I know that collect silver are very coy about how much they own, as am I, but I get the feel that each has more than one hoarding-units worth.

Your one in ten thousand number is very plausible.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 am

About a year ago I suggested that a "serious silver investor" is someone with at least 300 ounces of physical silver. I believe consesus was that about 1% of U.S. households met this standard. Add to that those who favor physical gold, those who hold cash in pennies/nickels, those who have extensive gardens (and even some livestock) and those who store extra food and, even accounting for overlap, you probably have somewhere around 5% of households who are at least somewhat prepared. Now if you further include those with critical SHTF skills, (engineers, mechanics, doctors) which can be bartered for food and PMs we could be close to 15%.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 pm

300 ounces Ag at $30 / oz, that's only $9000. $50 is a more reasonable value for physical (blasted paper manipulators), but that's still only $15,000.

Pocket change, if things get seriously wrong.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverEye » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 pm

We only need a few months worth of "money" in the event of a paper currency collapse. Remember that SHTF doesn't mean retirement for those with a few hundred ounces of silver. It means we personally become a micro-community bank with this new hard money, lending tiny amounts to our immediate neighbors, until trade resumes normally. We keep working like before, earning enough to feed and clothe and house ourselves and our families. Our paychecks just change from bits in a computer to literally ounces and fractionals of gold and silver.

Of course, more is better. I'm stacking until I'm retired, then I'm selling to help fund my retirement.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 am

SilverEye wrote:We only need a few months worth of "money" in the event of a paper currency collapse. Remember that SHTF doesn't mean retirement for those with a few hundred ounces of silver. It means we personally become a micro-community bank with this new hard money, lending tiny amounts to our immediate neighbors, until trade resumes normally. We keep working like before, earning enough to feed and clothe and house ourselves and our families. Our paychecks just change from bits in a computer to literally ounces and fractionals of gold and silver.

Of course, more is better. I'm stacking until I'm retired, then I'm selling to help fund my retirement.

Good description of post-SHTF life. That's why I think pre-65 Roosevelts are going to be quite versatile.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 am

I've been thinking about this question for awhile now and maybe this is the appropriate place to ask, but.....how much is enough? Meaning, if it does go down like some on here believe, is a months worth of pay, at today's prices, of Pm's enough to see one through? A years worth? Just curious as to what everyone has in mind.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 am

I save a month in cash...
a lifetime in PM's to pay taxes (don't want to lose the house)
junk silver to last a few years
a year in food for each family member
ammo in the amount to make one big crater if the zombies over run us. (go in style)
kind of down that line of thinking for me.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Saabman wrote:I've been thinking about this question for awhile now and maybe this is the appropriate place to ask, but.....how much is enough? Meaning, if it does go down like some on here believe, is a months worth of pay, at today's prices, of Pm's enough to see one through? A years worth? Just curious as to what everyone has in mind.

Originally I thought "Oh, a couple of years."

More recently, I've decided that there should be no limit. Suppose you develop serious medical problems? How much are you going to need to cover the costs?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Mossy wrote:300 ounces Ag at $30 / oz, that's only $9000. $50 is a more reasonable value for physical (blasted paper manipulators), but that's still only $15,000.

Correct, but the bulk of the US has negative savings, no matter how the measure, so anyone that actually has savings period is well ahead of the crowd.

As savings (retirement) I would use a rough rule of thumb of an allocation of an ounce of silver per day per person for as many days as you think you need to cover. For a couple, that's a need of 700 oz per year. For ten years, that's 7000 oz. Or an ounce of gold per month per person. Give or take.

If we're lucky we might see a real appreciation in the value of silver that would make the amount needed go down to half or a third of the above. But the general yardstick remains useful.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:35 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Mossy wrote:300 ounces Ag at $30 / oz, that's only $9000. $50 is a more reasonable value for physical (blasted paper manipulators), but that's still only $15,000.

Correct, but the bulk of the US has negative savings, no matter how the measure, so anyone that actually has savings period is well ahead of the crowd.

As savings (retirement) I would use a rough rule of thumb of an allocation of an ounce of silver per day per person for as many days as you think you need to cover. For a couple, that's a need of 700 oz per year. For ten years, that's 7000 oz. Or an ounce of gold per month per person. Give or take.

If we're lucky we might see a real appreciation in the value of silver that would make the amount needed go down to half or a third of the above. But the general yardstick remains useful.

Good standard you have there 68. I've never really thought about in such specific terms. I suppose I would just add that one's needs in PMs would also be determined in some degree by how well one had set aside the other pillars of preparation such as food, medical, defense, transportation, etc.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks for y'all's thoughts on this. As I antcipated would be the case.....I have a long way to go.....but at least I'm on the right path.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm

68Camaro wrote: ...

Being ahead of the crowd can still be mighty bad off.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I need to continue to accumulate PMs, but I'm not worried, plenty of time, the private sector is doing fine!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/ ... doing_fine
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:56 pm

In my limited experience, I am the only person I know who actively buys gold or silver (and I can't afford to buy much). The attitudes of the people I know range from aggressively anti-PMs ("It's a huge bubble, no way it stays that high, it's going to come down, blah blah blah) to "I think it's a good idea, but it's too expensive" to "maybe someday". Of all the people I know, I only know 2 who have any silver at all - one older lady who has a sock full of old quarters and dimes and a guy who has a couple of AEs (bought on my recommendation) and they definitely aren't stacking/hoarding. I wouldn't be surprised if it is less than 1%.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote: ...

Being ahead of the crowd can still be mighty bad off.

No argument - just didn't want to discourage someone that had busted their butt to get/stay out of debt, and actually had some positive savings. That's so freakin' rare these days...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cupronickel » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:51 pm

I've discussed "investments" with a bunch of people, and there is no way that even 1% have any physical PM's. I would agree with the earlier guess of 1 in 10,000. Most people just have their homes and some mutual funds (stocks/bonds).
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 pm

We should also think about the jewelry boxes with a few of their "treasures." I know 14k resale/usage may be tough in a stink HTF scenario though it's better than nothing. Adding in the rings and necklaces will bring the percentages up some.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:23 am

shinnosuke wrote:We should also think about the jewelry boxes with a few of their "treasures." I know 14k resale/usage may be tough in a stink HTF scenario though it's better than nothing. Adding in the rings and necklaces will bring the percentages up some.

(gloom) "Paid high retail and had to sell at less than retail." Only the jewler makes money on that, and not much after expenses.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions