US Seasonal Drought Outlook

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

US Seasonal Drought Outlook

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Source: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/e ... ought.html

Next Outlook issued: August 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM EDT

Seasonal Drought Outlook Discussion
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/e ... t/DOD.html
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: US Seasonal Drought Outlook

Postby John_doe » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CiDaUYr90

what is scary is the fact that most people my age don't think this is even possible (I have met older people that have this same mentality), or worse do not even know where food comes from (besides the grocery store).
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 pm

We're getting a hell of a lot of rain here in AZ.

I don't know if anyone knows what to do with it.

Don't freak out though. Before you know it, there will be record flooding like 1992.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Engineer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Another dust bowl on the way?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:41 pm

You can still grow food if you are willing to learn and adapt. It's not lack of water, you can get water. It's the heat. Above 105 degrees, gardens just stop growing. The heat has become brutal, but I think I can still grow some veggies. It may be that I have to wait for fall to grow anymore goodies.

Last year it got above 112 degrees here. What kept growing in my garden were peppers of all kinds, egg plants, and mint.

Here is what we picked from our garden over the weekend.

When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:12 pm

above 105 degrees huh? It has been between 100-112 almost everyday for the past 30-40 days here in Saint Louis.....I was wondering why this has been my worst season ever for my garden, I thought all the sun would help..I have been watering every day, and no change :x but that makes since what you said. But so far in early spring I got a bunch of English peas, my kale plants have been doing pretty good, mustard greens are all okay, I also got raspberries, and blackberries, and some brussel sprouts before the heat wave, and cucumbers were doing great and still are, but absolutely ZERO tomatoes, ZERO tomatillos, ZERO strawberries, and my squash and zucchini are practically ZERO, and my grapes were doing great until the heat wave, now they are turning into raisins without ever being ripe.... :cry:
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You can still grow food if you are willing to learn and adapt. It's not lack of water, you can get water. It's the heat. Above 105 degrees, gardens just stop growing. The heat has become brutal, but I think I can still grow some veggies. It may be that I have to wait for fall to grow anymore goodies.

Last year it got above 112 degrees here. What kept growing in my garden were peppers of all kinds, egg plants, and mint.

I have been looking into indoor agriculture, as well as greenhousing during the winter. I have had pretty good luck with spinach during the winter. it could just be a matter of shifting normal growing seasons.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 pm

I used to be really great at indoor agriculture.

Then I had a kid and quit smokin that stuff. I will tell you this though. Nowdays it's a lot cheaper with more efficient lights. Trust me, a 1000w watt HPS light burning 12-18 hours a day makes that meter spin. Not worth growing veges unless you have cheap light.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:40 pm

It's been raining like India all afternoon here.
Thogey

Postby John_doe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Thogey wrote:I used to be really great at indoor agriculture.

Then I had a kid and quit smokin that stuff. I will tell you this though. Nowdays it's a lot cheaper with more efficient lights. Trust me, a 1000w watt HPS light burning 12-18 hours a day makes that meter spin. Not worth growing veges unless you have cheap light.

i think your speaking of a different type of agriculture. :lol:

hey whatever floats your boat.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Engineer wrote:Another dust bowl on the way?

I sure hope not.......
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Thogey wrote:I used to be really great at indoor agriculture.

You remind me of all those Cheech & Chong albums people used to play, like "Toledo Window Box"! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Thogey wrote:It's been raining like India all afternoon here.

You gotta be in the greenest part of the green section on Copper Catcher's map!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:18 pm

frugi wrote:above 105 degrees huh? It has been between 100-112 almost everyday for the past 30-40 days here in Saint Louis.....I was wondering why this has been my worst season ever for my garden, I thought all the sun would help..I have been watering every day, and no change :x but that makes since what you said. But so far in early spring I got a bunch of English peas, my kale plants have been doing pretty good, mustard greens are all okay, I also got raspberries, and blackberries, and some brussel sprouts before the heat wave, and cucumbers were doing great and still are, but absolutely ZERO tomatoes, ZERO tomatillos, ZERO strawberries, and my squash and zucchini are practically ZERO, and my grapes were doing great until the heat wave, now they are turning into raisins without ever being ripe.... :cry:

I over-generalized on the 105 degree heat number. It's actually less for tomatoes. Nighttime temperatures consistently above 75 degrees or daytime temperatures consistently above 90 degrees will also prevent setting of fruit on tomatoes.

Sunshine is very good, but too much heat will kill the pollen on many veggies, like tomatoes. If the pollen dies, you get no fruits.

As a boy, we had tomatoes producing all growing season. Now, we have spring tomatoes, and fall tomatoes. It stresses the plants too much when you try to keep them alive in the high heat. Get your fall garden ready. If the heat keeps up, we will have an extended growing season. I bet all the way into December for my area!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 pm

well I am a vegetarian for the most part. (I uesd to be a raw foodist) I still aspire to be one again. I know if you heat something above 105 degrees you kill the enzymes in it, so ALL of this hits home, and really makes sense, thank you.
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 am

I thought the thread was about the drought we are having searching for 90% silver
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:04 am

John_doe wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You can still grow food if you are willing to learn and adapt. It's not lack of water, you can get water. It's the heat. Above 105 degrees, gardens just stop growing. The heat has become brutal, but I think I can still grow some veggies. It may be that I have to wait for fall to grow anymore goodies.

I have been looking into indoor agriculture, as well as greenhousing during the winter. I have had pretty good luck with spinach during the winter. it could just be a matter of shifting normal growing seasons.

I need to start a new thread on gardening. What section should I put it in on Realcent???
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 am

frugi wrote:well I am a vegetarian for the most part. (I uesd to be a raw foodist) I still aspire to be one again. I know if you heat something above 105 degrees you kill the enzymes in it, so ALL of this hits home, and really makes sense, thank you.

I am trying to eat less meat everyday. The wife does most of the cooking and thinks I am nuts.

You really ought to have a great fall garden this year. Trick your seeds into sprouting by refrigerating them a little first, then plant the seeds in individualized seed trays you can find at garden centers inside the house under air conditioning. Next set the sprouted seed trays outside in diffused sunlight to toughen them up. Last, plant and keep watered. By the time they are ready to pollinate, things will have cooled down enough to set fruit.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
frugi wrote:well I am a vegetarian for the most part. (I uesd to be a raw foodist) I still aspire to be one again. I know if you heat something above 105 degrees you kill the enzymes in it, so ALL of this hits home, and really makes sense, thank you.

I am trying to eat less meat everyday. The wife does most of the cooking and thinks I am nuts.

You really ought to have a great fall garden this year. Trick your seeds into sprouting by refrigerating them a little first, then plant the seeds in individualized seed trays you can find at garden centers inside the house under air conditioning. Next set the sprouted seed trays outside in diffused sunlight to toughen them up. Last, plant and keep watered. By the time they are ready to pollinate, things will have cooled down enough to set fruit.

that is what we do every spring. I wont have time to do it for the fall, my wife is a teacher and is starting back to school in a week, she is the dedicated sprouter/hardener.....it takes a lot of work, I am sure you know. We start everything from seed, and maybe everything that is already in the ground will start producing when it cools off. Plus, we do cold weather plants like beans, brussel sprouts, peas, some leafy greens as well. Everything we will be doing is already in the ground, except for peas, and beans. Wifey might want to do pumpkin though??
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
John_doe wrote:

I need to start a new thread on gardening. What section should I put it in on Realcent???

Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
texcollex
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions