Poll...Should I.D. Be required to vote?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Should I.D's be required to vote?

No
4%
Yes
96%

Total votes : 54

Poll...Should I.D. Be required to vote?

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:56 pm

What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

No I.D. Required to vote in this poll
Last edited by slickeast on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Poll...Should I.D. Be required to vote?

Postby barrytrot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Of course an ID should be required. Otherwise couldn't you just walk in anywhere and say you are Joe Shnrub and vote away?
barrytrot

Postby fasteddy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:23 pm

hell ya, you should be required to prove who you are when you vote...you want all of my thoughts on this subject?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby fb101 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes. Keeps the dead from voting too many times.
fb101

Postby Chaboo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Son of a......! I'm the lone no voter. :evil: I voted on my phone and fat fingered it. :lol: :lol:
I quit, I'm going home and starting my weekend. :oops:
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Chaboo wrote:Son of a......! I'm the lone no voter. :evil: I voted on my phone and fat fingered it. :lol: :lol:

I fixed it, you can edit your vote
slickeast

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm

fb101 wrote:Yes. Keeps the dead from voting too many times.

Post of the day. :lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Im a firm believer in voting early and often...

;)

actually, I have no understanding why anyone would be against it. Im more interested in making sure votes are counted correctly, with a paper trail, which we do NOT have right now in many areas. But I still cant figure why anyone is against it. Ive heard all the arguments. they just dont hold weight for me.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 pm

fb101 wrote:Yes. Keeps the dead from voting too many times.

+1
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Also should be other requirements, like if more than half of your income comes from gov't assistant programs, you can't vote.
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah, or proof that you filed your taxes. :D Well, I am a fan of Liberty, so maybe not. Just proof of citizenship or whatever would be a good start. Fraud being the #1 issue and probably #2 being foreigners voting. I can't go and vote in Mexico. Well, I guess if I paid someone off I could. So Mexico is not the best example, but you know what I mean.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby moparal7 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

NHsorter wrote:Yeah, or proof that you filed your taxes. :D Well, I am a fan of Liberty, so maybe not. Just proof of citizenship or whatever would be a good start. Fraud being the #1 issue and probably #2 being foreigners voting. I can't go and vote in Mexico. Well, I guess if I paid someone off I could. So Mexico is not the best example, but you know what I mean.

Can BHO vote? Yes id should be required.
moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Where is it not required? Or maybe it's not even required for me? I don't even know. I've always walked up to the little folding table and flashed my wallet while they crossed off my name.

Are you saying I just had to say, "I'm Beunaderos" and they nod and give me my packet anyway?
barrytrot

Postby natsb88 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm

barrytrot wrote:Are you saying I just had to say, "I'm Beunaderos" and they nod and give me my packet anyway?

Up to the state. Previously in PA you only had to show ID the very first time you voted, or the first time after your registration changed (address, party, whatever). Otherwise you just gave your name and signed in the box. They have your signature to compare to, but that's rarely looked at and completely subjective when it comes to poll workers. You (or somebody claiming to be you) could go your entire life without showing ID after the first time.

For the first time this November, PA voters will be required to show a photo ID to vote. Driver's license, state/city/municipality employee ID, nursing home / long term care ID, ID from any university accredited in PA, passport, any military ID, or PennDOT non-driver photo ID. If you don't have an acceptable ID, PennDOT will give you a non-driver photo ID for free (instead of the regular $13.50) with your social security card, birth certificate, and two things to show current residency (utility bill, etc.).

Democrats are throwing a hissy-fit. Every single one voted against it, and started fighting it in the courts as soon as it passed. Wonder what they're afraid of...
natsb88

Postby Silver Addict » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 pm

We have to show photo id in Ohio
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 am

Do you have to have an ID to get registered to vote?

If you don't have an ID how do you get a job? Drive,open a bank account, cash your welfare check, apply for food stamps. If you are paying taxes through a job, you needed an ID to get the job. If you are getting a welfare check or food stamps you needed an ID to apply for them. So why would you not need to Identify yourself when you vote?

My mom is 71, she has dementia and can't vote yet she does have a state issued ID card.

If you are unable to get an ID card, then something is wrong.
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:06 am

That's like asking if I should be required to pay for items I buy.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:05 am

No ID required in NH or .MA. You Walk in and tell them your name. If the name tht you said is on their list and has not been checked off yet, they hand you a ballot. That's it.

You know your neighbor is out of town? Go use his vote. Your friend is on vacation. Your other neighbor never leaves the house before 10, so go use his vote first before he gets there. Oh yeah, those lists use large print so the old volunteers can read them. Real easy to see other peoples names that have not voted yet when they are checking off your name.

I am always nervous that someone will use my vote so I go early. So far I have been ok.

It's my understanding that in a lot of the big cities, if you look like a democrat, you don't even need to be on the list they just hand you a ballot anyway.

The whole thing is a complete and total joke and to think that there is not rampant corruption is the pinnacle of ignorance!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Bluegill » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:05 am

NHsorter wrote:No ID required in NH or .MA. You Walk in and tell them your name. If the name tht you said is on their list and has not been checked off yet, they hand you a ballot. That's it.

You know your neighbor is out of town? Go use his vote. Your friend is on vacation. Your other neighbor never leaves the house before 10, so go use his vote first before he gets there. Oh yeah, those lists use large print so the old volunteers can read them. Real easy to see other peoples names that have not voted yet when they are checking off your name.

I am always nervous that someone will use my vote so I go early. So far I have been ok.

It's my understanding that in a lot of the big cities, if you look like a democrat, you don't even need to be on the list they just hand you a ballot anyway.

Yeah, you just described MI's 2002 state election to a TEE. That was the last time I wasted my fricking time "voting".

NHsorter wrote:The whole thing is a complete and total joke and to think that there is not rampant corruption is the pinnacle of ignorance!

Yep.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 am

Don't get me wrong, I still go vote every time and I encourage others to as well. If we give up than they don't even have to try to cheat. Make them work for it at least!
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Some opposing views would be that since it costs money to get an ID, then that requirement is akin to a poll tax. If they jumped the cost of the ID to $250 many could not afford to vote. My state has rectified that by issuing a free State ID in lieu of a drivers license.

Also, I do not know if the State ID part has the same contractual requirements, but many in the sovereignty movement have pointed out and shown that applying for and receiving an ID or license does place you into a certain contracual obligation that many are not willing to participate in. Such as, you agree to obey all the rules, laws, ordinances, codes of the State and agree to be regulated by such. After you have signed this "contract" you must submit to any law, code or ordinance they deliver whether it is in compliance with State and Federal constitutions or not for example the fourth amendment is regularly violated by roadside checkpoints complete with search dogs, that you have to submit to or face arrest, because it is in the terms you agreed to when you got your license. Rights can not be taken from you, but may be surrendered or contracted away.

I have not voted yet because I am undecided, just offering alternative views here.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby Chaboo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:53 pm

slickeast wrote:
Chaboo wrote:Son of a......! I'm the lone no voter. :evil: I voted on my phone and fat fingered it. :lol: :lol:

I fixed it, you can edit your vote

Thx!! :oops:
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Kurr, I think that you make excellent points. A method could and should be devised that would not only be protective of voter fraud, but one that would also not tax or subject any voter to any contract or other stipulations. How that is achieved is above my pay grade, but I can't imagine any tremendous obstacles(other than politicians).

Way back in the day it was easier. Towns were small and any outsider at a polling place would stick out like a sore thumb. Hell, even Afghanistan has a better system with dipping their fingers in ink. Sure some Pakis could jump the border to vote once, but that is it. One per person. I suppose with that system, you might be able to still pull a "Weekend at Bernies" move if someone just died though :lol:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Kurr wrote:Some opposing views would be that since it costs money to get an ID, then that requirement is akin to a poll tax. If they jumped the cost of the ID to $250 many could not afford to vote. My state has rectified that by issuing a free State ID in lieu of a drivers license.

Same in PA. Normal fee for a non-driver photo ID is $13.50, but they will waive the fee if you sign a paper that says you need one to vote because you have no other acceptable photo ID.

What happens if I show up at the polls without an acceptable photo ID?

Starting in November, if you don’t come to the polls with an acceptable photo ID, you will not be permitted to vote by the election officials. If you are denied the right to vote at the polling place, you will still have a right to vote by provisional (paper) ballot. You can also vote by provisional ballot if you say you can’t afford to get proof of your identity without paying a fee.

Will my provisional ballot count?

Not automatically. If you cast a provisional ballot, then within six calendar days of an election, you must affirm – either in person at your County Board of Elections or by sending the Board an electronic, faxed or paper copy of an affirmation – that you are the same person who appeared at the polls on election day and cast a provisional ballot and, if this applies, that you can’t afford to get proof of your identity without paying a fee. You can be prosecuted for perjury if you give false information.
natsb88

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I didn't have to show I'd during the primaries in Indiana. There were several irregularities of getting BHO on the ballot in some Indiana counties. He didn't win by much, and those counties vote very heavy Democrat. I don't like the fact that ou have to be registered in advance to the election.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions