Yacht Prices Falling

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Yacht Prices Falling

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 am

I've been tracking the price of used 40 to 50 foot sailing yachts for about a year now. Recently, in the last 6 weeks or so, a lot of boats that have been on the market a while are now dropping their prices by 15% to 30%.

This is a clear sign that the fiscal cliff is approaching. When the moderately wealthy start ditching their expensive toys, that means the leading edge of the economy is crumbling.

Yachts that size cost $10-$12 per foot, per month, to keep in a marina. Monthly maintenance and insurance expenses are typically $500 to $1500 per month in this size range. And if the boat has a mortgage, there is more alligator nipping at your ass.

A decent 45-footer, in fair to good condition, with good sail inventory and current electronics can now be had for $30k to $40K. The steel 45', that I've been tracking in French Polynesia has dropped from $32k last month to $26k now.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Yacht Prices Falling

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 am

Really? Good grief - I'm not a yacht/boat person, but I know people that are, and if I'm not mistaken those are something like 10-20 cents on the dollar of new boat prices. At least the prices that I recall from several years ago. The boat manufacturers must be dying.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:04 pm

A boat is not an investment, its a lifestyle. Yes, used boats sell for much less than new ones, they always have.

But now, lots of boats are being sold at fire-sale prices. I was looking at www.yachtworld.com this morning at 40-50/ft and there are dozens for sale, that look reasonably fit, for less than $40k.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Don't you just hate it when you can't afford your 50 foot yacht anymore? :(
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 am

A lot of people drop the price in the fall because of the winterizing and winter storage fees that pop up at this time of year. Im in the northeast, so my observations may be a little different than someone in Fla. But, if you are selling a 30k boat in Fla, and someone in Boston has the same boat, and drops the price 5k, you kinda have to follow suit to sell...Just one word of advice... Dont take your stash with you, its gonna sink the boat.. I hear that time and time again.... :P
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

yacht prices have actually stabilized and are up considerably from say 3 years ago.

what you are seeing is seasonal.

if you are paying under $100K for a 50 foot yacht, then it needs a lot of work and upgrades.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions