How Do You Trade An Approaching Currency War?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

How Do You Trade An Approaching Currency War?

Postby fb101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Brought to you by forex

A currency war is an all-out determination by a central bank to debase or weaken their currency so they can boost exports and strengthen their economy.Now that most economies have stabilized themselves from the credit crisis, which is the paradigm we’ve been trading under for the last 4 years, the central banks are trying to get an economic edge by weakening their currencies.

http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/education/ ... y_War.html
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How Do You Trade An Approaching Currency War?

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 pm

By getting out of all paper except that used on the white throne.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

shinnosuke wrote:By getting out of all paper except that used on the white throne.

Funny you should mention that. Luxury toilet paper sales have jumped significantly since 2009 and the current financial crisis. Seems people will cut back on discretion spending during bad times but will spend more on "small" everyday luxuries.

"Morsecode wrote:
If there is sufficient interest, maybe now, at the year's start, would be an appropriate time to kick off an entirely new board dedicated to paper commodities. Heck, if it could include Softwood/ lumber pricing I might even follow it."

I wonder if this thread is headed this direction? :P
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

johnbrickner wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:By getting out of all paper except that used on the white throne.

Funny you should mention that. Luxury toilet paper sales have jumped significantly since 2009 and the current financial crisis. Seems people will cut back on discretion spending during bad times but will spend more on "small" everyday luxuries.

"Morsecode wrote:
If there is sufficient interest, maybe now, at the year's start, would be an appropriate time to kick off an entirely new board dedicated to paper commodities. Heck, if it could include Softwood/ lumber pricing I might even follow it."

I wonder if this thread is headed this direction? :P

No, TP is not protected from inflation.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:06 am

johnbrickner wrote:Funny you should mention that. Luxury toilet paper sales have jumped significantly since 2009 and the current financial crisis. Seems people will cut back on discretion spending during bad times but will spend more on "small" everyday luxuries

I'm guessing the jump is because people are spending more time at home instead of work, shopping, eating out, or the other places you find cheap TP.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions