"Cyprus a Template For EU"

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

"Cyprus a Template For EU"

Postby Country » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Dijsselbloem: "What we've done last night is what I call pushing back the risks," Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem, who heads the Eurogroup of euro zone finance ministers, told Reuters and the Financial Times hours after the Cyprus deal was struck.

"If there is a risk in a bank, our first question should be 'Okay, what are you in the bank going to do about that? What can you do to recapitalise yourself?'. If the bank can't do it, then we'll talk to the shareholders and the bondholders, we'll ask them to contribute in recapitalising the bank, and if necessary the uninsured deposit holders," he said.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-25/word-out-place-sends-europe-tumbling
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: "Cyprus a Template For EU"

Postby No82s » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Soon coming to a bank near you!
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby DTEJD1997 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 pm

The EU sounds like they have figured it all out and HAVE A GREAT PLAN! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

I don't have ANY problem with shareholders & bondholders being wiped out...

What about the bank's management & workers? Shouldn't they have to pay a price for their incompetence?

How does taking $ from depositors square with accounts being insured?

I guess here in the USA, accounts are only insured up to $100k per account, per name.

The EU has to be very careful with this...if the banking system starts to go down, that will have a ripple effect. Did these jokers learn nothing from the Great Depression? Perhaps they think "this time things are different!".

We'll see.
DTEJD1997
Penny Pincher Member

Postby No82s » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 pm

What you don't understand is that the banks have classified account holders as shareholders. Thus your deposit is in fact a stake in the bank. There has been a court ruling to that effect already in this country. Also think about your insurance comment for a minute. The FDIC is the government, if the government is the one stealing your money, do you think they are going to give it back? Also FDIC right now has 25 billion in the fund..........insuring 9.2 trillion. Think about that for a minute.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby cupronickel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:20 pm

A robber never says, "give me 90% of your money." Those poor people will probably get nothing back.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am

The longer I think about this, the more I think of it as a warning to the people/corporations holding cash to put it to work. The central bankers of the world have tried nearly everything else to force deposits out of the banks, and now they've given notice to either use it or lose it.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:52 am

Engineer wrote:The longer I think about this, the more I think of it as a warning to the people/corporations holding cash to put it to work. The central bankers of the world have tried nearly everything else to force deposits out of the banks, and now they've given notice to either use it or lose it.

Even if they didn't mean to give us this notice, I think your analysis is right on.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am

Sure ... take your entire life savings out of the banking system and put it in the stock market ..... Then they will manipulate the markets and grab all your dough.

Has anyone else noticed Yahoo's newstream? It sure does contain a lot of nifty looking stock tips these days ..... and none of them say SELL.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 am

Can you imagine the street price of gold in Cyprus these days?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/us-cyprus-parliament-idUSBRE92G03I20130327
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am

Check this out. An earlier article/report by the BBC called the depositor haircut and noted the likely damage it would do. The date of the article? February 15th! Guess what? zerohedge.com has an article showing that there was a record amount of cash outflow from Cyprus in February. Many Brits with wealth go to Cyprus to retire in that Mediterranean climate after wearing a London Fog trenchcoat their entire bloody lives.

Here's a snippet:
So what might Mr Anastasiades have up his sleeve? One of his key policies is to raise capital by seeking strategic investors for the state-run electricity, telephone and ports authorities - if not opting for outright privatisation. There have also been suggestions that private depositors with investments of more than 100,000 euros should be obliged to endure a "haircut". But economists argue that this would inflict such damage on investor confidence across the EU that it should only be considered as a last resort, a "nuclear option".

Here are your links:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-2 ... -year-high

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21455758

There are other news agencies that carried the same story in February. So now we know that those who were aware were pulling their money out early and that the London branches of the Bank of Cyprus and Laiki were open as usual during the several days the banks were closed on Cyprus allowing the well-heeled Russians to bolt with their funds that were the likely target of the proposed haircut. So who ends up paying? The average Joe's like you and me. It's getting very hard to continue praying, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

If you're not reading zerohedge.com at least once a day, you are ignoring that website at your own financial peril.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions