Secretary Geithner Sends Debt Limit Letter to Congress

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Secretary Geithner Sends Debt Limit Letter to Congress

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm

what a mess...

http://www.treasury.gov/connect/blog/Pages/letter.aspx

from the article...

" In fact, even if Congress were immediately to adopt the deep cuts in discretionary spending of the magnitude suggested by some Members of Congress, such as reverting to Fiscal Year 2008 spending levels, the need to increase the debt limit would be delayed by no more than two weeks. The limit would still need to be raised to make it possible for the government to avoid default and to meet the other obligations established by Congress. "

sounds like a great start to the 112th.

how much longer can this game go on ??
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Re: Secretary Geithner Sends Debt Limit Letter to Congress

Postby AlexTG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm

" However, the Treasury Department now estimates that the debt limit will be reached as early as March 31, 2011, and most likely sometime between that date and May 16, 2011."

If they don't know the date that the limit is reached. How in the world do they know how much those cuts would extended the date by?

I only hope the next president has some business sense and can turn this country and its budget around.

Not saying I want the US to run a surplus, just that we need to be at even or slightly above, other wise my kids will only know the United States that was a super power.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 pm

We need to run a "surplus" for a long time to eliminate the debt, which is where we need to go.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AlexTG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 pm

fb101 wrote:We need to run a "surplus" for a long time to eliminate the debt, which is where we need to go.

Not true, since the debt is factored into what the US pays out evey year. They have to pay off the intrest and the prime, even if you don't run a surplus you will eventually pay it off. Running a surplus would just allow you to pay it off sooner.
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

The Tax Cheat in Chief. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 pm

rickygee wrote:The Tax Cheat in Chief. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil:

yea, see if you could get away with that...

the worst part is that most americans dont know about it, and the ones that do, dont care !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Americans need to keep one thing in mind.

Congress spends the money. Not the president .
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions