Stefan Molyneux

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Stefan Molyneux

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:47 pm

anyone else listen to him? I just started tonight, listened to two programs on youtube. I like the guy. :thumbup:

Speaks fast, but you can follow him once you get used to his speed. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Stefan Molyneux

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:44 am

Never had before. Tried to, looked at the one on poverty and after a couple of minutes my mind was wandering. He has an annoying manner of presentation, and needs to get to his point(s). And, as I looked at the balance of his articles I was largely put off by the titles of them. I'll check into another couple to see if I'm missing something. Someone did blog that the one I picked was his worst ever, so maybe it was just a bad choice.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:24 am

He relies on a lot of charts and basically just reads his points to you, which you could do for yourself. He speaks rapidly, but I think he has done
a good job in forming his various rationales, supported by the numbers he provides.

I wouldn't be able to listen to him just for the presentations themselves... but for background noise while I was coin sorting it was perfect.

I listened to the one about the economy crashing with the five red bar graphs, and another about violence in America. It's astounding the amount of crimes (and murder rates) that are commited by only 12% of the population. The fact that 8 out of 10 Black men will spend time incarcerated prior to turning 40 was new to me. I was aware the numbers are high, but he provides sources which confirm your suspicions.
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am

Looked at his Martin/Zimmerman video which, while slow for the first 25 minutes, remained interestingly factual and well presented for that period. But then he starts down a rabbit trail that appeared to be unrelated - I gave him a few minutes to try to see where he was going with it - then one thing led to another and for the last ~10 minutes he's following just about any path you can imagine that (often irrelevent and sometimes incorrect) related to his fundamental politics. It's like he's ADD or manic. Interesting enough to watch a time or two so that I know who he is, but I won't be following him. But thanks for the heads-up; now I know another social media name that I otherwise wouldn't.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 am

Like I said, a new source for me to listen to while sorting, pick up a few interesting factoids from time to time.

Now then...

who do you recommend? I already know about Chris Martinson and Max Keiser. I read a fair amount on silverdoctors.com as well :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 am

Good question, and I'm not throwing darts though it might have come across that way. I don't think I've yet found anyone I can stand to actually listento on a regular basis, at least of those that are "free".

It does make you appreciate the media in the sense that it's one thing to be able to think, another to be able to create intelligent summaries of that thought that can be communicated to others, and quite yet a third to verbally transmit those thoughts in an engaging manner. The first is rare (1 in a 100, or less) but not shockingly unusual. The second an even more rare subset of the first (maybe 1 in 100 of those who can think?). By the time you get to the third subset you're maybe 1 in 1000 or less of those that can communicate, so you're literally at one in a million (or less) of the overall population.

I've found Celente interesting as to how he thinks, but I don't think he's normally free.
68Camaro

Postby coincrazy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 pm

This was the first video I watched of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P772Eb63qIY

Welcome to the tax farm. We're just free range sheeple.
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

What a coincidence, I also started listening to him in the last few weeks. His brand of libertarianism is different from the one I usually see. He's an anarchocapitalist who's strongly anti-religious and socially liberal in general (though not in all things). Quite a contrast between him and the LRC crowd, who are generally socially conservative and pro-religious (even the few atheist/agnostics among them). I learned (or perhaps I should say "learned", since I take it with a grain of salt) some interesting things about childhood abuse in history and the violent, statist mentality it supposedly produced. I don't know how I feel about his plan to save the world with peaceful parenting, but he's an interesting character if nothing else.

By the way, supposedly he is a cult leader:

http://www.molyneuxrevealed.com/
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cupronickel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm

A great anarchocapitalist website is Strike The Root.
My favorite article listed there is one entitled "The origins of money, and how it was stolen from you." by Alex Baker.
Here is the link

http://www.strike-the-root.com/4/baker/baker2.html

Well worth a few minutes to read.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions