3215 - what's significant about this number?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

3215 - what's significant about this number?

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:57 am

On January 23 JPM gold reserves were depleted by a record 321,500 ounces of gold. This amount was tied for the largest withdrawal in their recorded history. The other one of exactly the same size was just over a year prior, December 13 2012.

Is there a signifcance to this amount?

To four significant digits (which is all they are reporting) it is 10,000,000 grams of gold. 10 metric tons = 10,000 kilos.

While precision weighing is now done primarily in grams world-wide, the West still uses toz as the primary trading mechanism. Who buys and sells in kilos and fractions thereof, which would require nominal 400 toz bars to be pulled in an exact metric ton amount? The East, especially China, where the kilo bar (and multiple or fractions thereof) is their preferred means of trade.

Just another sign that western gold is being recast into kilo sizes and sent east.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 3215 - what's significant about this number?

Postby theo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 am

Nice post! I wonder many other transactions using this 3215 denomination there have been.

Its sad when you think about it. The wealth amassed by our forefathers being squandered just to maintain the waning status quo for a few more years.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Ya load ten metric tons, and whatta get...
Another day older and deeper in debt...
Well Jamie dontcha call me, cause I can't go...
I owe my soul to the Bundesbank store...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Interesting. I read an article about that, but the 3215 didn't ring a bell at the time.

Engineer: Classic. :clap:
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Yay me! I got the answer without looking :angel:

It jumped right out at me...32.15 kilo
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Engineer wrote:Ya load ten metric tons, and whatta get...
Another day older and deeper in debt...
Well Jamie dontcha call me, cause I can't go...
I owe my soul to the Bundesbank store...

Perfect, you should finish the rest - could be a RC classic!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions