Study Predicts Collapse and Other Outcomes

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Study Predicts Collapse and Other Outcomes

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Can be found here: http://www.sesync.org/sites/default/fil ... kalnay.pdf

This is the one NASA is washing it's hands over being associate with.

From the study: . . . accumulated surplus is not evenly distributed throughout society, but rather has been controlled by an elite. The mass of the population, while producing the wealth, is only allocated a small portion of it by elites, usually at or just above subsistence levels.

Technological change can raise the efficiency of resource use, but it also tends to raise both per capita resource consumption and the scale of resource extraction, so that, . . . the increases in consumption often compensate for the increased efficiency of resource use.

(Mathematical formulas deleted) (A)ccumulated Wealth, which increases with production, and decreases with the consumption of the Elites and the Commoners. The consumption of the Commoners (as long as there is enough wealth to pay them) is a subsistence salary per capita, multiplied by the working population. The Elites pay themselves a salary (X) times larger. However, when the wealth becomes too small to pay for this consumption, the payment is reduced and eventually stopped, and famine takes place, with a much higher rate of death.

The scenarios most closely reflecting the reality of our world today are found . . . using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a famine among Commoners that eventually causes the collapse of society.

(T)he Elites (due to their wealth) do not suffer the detrimental effects of the environmental collapse until much later than the Commoners. This buffer of wealth allows Elites to continue 'business as usual" despite the impending catastrophe.

The results show that in the absence of Elites, . . . the population grows smoothly and asymptotes the level of the maximum carrying capacity. This produces a soft-landing to equilibrium at the maximum sustainable population and production levels. (A French Revolution scenario comes to mind here.)
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Study Predicts Collapse and Other Outcomes

Postby Silverfondler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Thank you for posting this. I need to process this article a little deeper before I make any relevant comments to this thread. Thanks again.
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:51 am

The reason this is interesting to me is it's the first of the type that I've seen (not that there haven't been many others that I've missed, because I don't search for them) that sets up a presumptive model that the problems with the world are resource limited and driven by inadequate distribution of wealth, and that "correcting" the starting assumptions (controlling resources and redistributing wealth) will correct the problem. OMG!

This the modern equivalent to the Nazi pseudo-science of the 30s. It is this type of research that will create the rationale TPTB will use to justify their means to their end. If not this paper then others like it. Mark my words, it's coming.

You, my friends, are the problem.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am

68Camaro wrote:The reason this is interesting to me is it's the first of the type that I've seen (not that there haven't been many others that I've missed, because I don't search for them) that sets up a presumptive model that the problems with the world are resource limited and driven by inadequate distribution of wealth, and that "correcting" the starting assumptions (controlling resources and redistributing wealth) will correct the problem. OMG!

This the modern equivalent to the Nazi pseudo-science of the 30s. It is this type of research that will create the rationale TPTB will use to justify their means to their end. If not this paper then others like it. Mark my words, it's coming.

You, my friends, are the problem.

couldn't agree more....
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions