Historical US credit debt versus GDP

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Historical US credit debt versus GDP

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 am

Link sourced from coinflation.com, but the original link is below.

http://www.acting-man.com/?p=34193#more-34193 includes an entertaining historical flat-earth map, and in the text makes some basic but excellent credit bubble/fiat points but it is this graph of credit debt versus GDP below that is the prime attraction:

http://www.acting-man.com/blog/media/20 ... nd-GDP.png

debt and GDP.png
debt and GDP.png (112.73 KiB) Viewed 440 times

This graph, which in original form actually comes from the St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank, simply SCREAMS crisis ahead! When? Who knows - it is apparent by now that there is global tolerance for debt that is allowing major credit expansion/money printing to continue longer than I would ever have predicted, but even at a global level it has to end eventually. The 2008 bubble bursting (and you can see that on the chart as a blip), as bad as that was, was just a pimple on the overall credit bubble. Most people don't get it or else this would be all over the news. The rate (slope of line) of expansion of credit can NOT exceed the rate of expansion of GDP except for very short, transient, time periods. The two lines were roughly parallel for most of our history until 1971. At that point we experienced a major slope change in credit when we came off the gold standard, and in the mid 80s the credit to debt ratio exceeded 1.0 for the first time ever as we expanded to defeat the Soviet Union in the cold war (successfully!). But the credit expansion (as occurred during World War II as a national survival response) wasn't temporary - the credit line didn't restore itself toward the GDP line. Instead the slope went asymptotic in the mid-90s and that continues at an ever increasing exponential increase (except for the 2008 blip). This cannot continue forever. No unbacked fiat currency (money printing without physical backing) in the history of mankind has ever succeeded for any length of time. And the longer it goes on, the greater the fall will be.

But it might last longer than I can conceive. We have already (in the last 4 years) had moments of crisis that were averted by global cooperation. I have anticipated circa 2016 as an issue, 2020 at the outset. But it could go longer if all TPTB are in lock-step and all profiting off this. I can't predict the timing, but I do know the event. It will end when someone powerful enough stops profiting from it, and causes the music to stop when they are firmly planted in their chair, leaving everyone else to fight over the rest. That could even be 10 years, maybe even 20 years - maybe longer than I have to live. But the time to prepare is now.

Get ready...

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Historical US credit debt versus GDP

Postby silverflake » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Absolutely frightening. I don't think there's anything in history to compare this to. Get ready.

Now here's the saddest thing. All of us here and the rest of the other hard-money, common sense folks are onto this. But here's what's trending on yahoo home page right now:
1.Donald Duck 6.GoPro Hero 4
2.Phillip Seymour Hoffman 7.Christy Mack
3.Mitt Romney 8.Judi Dench
4.Mick Jagger 9.Cruise Ships
5.Christmas Trees 10.Tracy Morgan

Yeah, the sheeple are really friggin' worried about it.

Stack as hella-fast as you can gang.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Historical US credit debt versus GDP

Postby Flintlock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 am

You are so right! Or at least 90% right, because Donald Duck is timeless and should always be on our minds during this impending crisis.
Flintlock

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions