Is Your Bank Charging You to Deposit Cash

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Is Your Bank Charging You to Deposit Cash

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:07 am

I heard a rumor from a client who called (can't remember exactly where he was from) and insisted that his bank (said it was either Wells Fargo or Chase) actually charges him something like 38 cents for every $100 he deposits. I'm pretty sure he said this was a business account. And I can't remember if it was only deposits of currency, or if it included checks deposited and electronic deposits. Anyone else live in an area where they are charging you to make deposits into your own account? If so, please share some specifics on what could be a very ugly trend starting to take shape.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is Your Bank Charging You to Deposit Cash

Postby cooyon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Another reason to deal with credit unions.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:05 am

I've read over the terms of a lot of banks/credit unions here in Canada and I seem to recall
mention of bussiness accounts being charged fees for cash deposits but I've never heard of
it on personal accounts. (This is covering the period from the late 80's to 2001-ish, I haven't
really seriously "bank shopped" recently so I don't have any specifics handy.)

On personal accounts it's usually more withdrawl/check/debit fees and monthly maintenance
fees (which sometimes but not always can be waived based on a minimum balance.) I recently
looked over a BMO booklet and it seems they are now putting people into "banking packages"
as the standard practice now and are making things much more confusing. It took me a lot
longer to figure out compared to the policies of my Credit Union. (Of course I'm looking for
the cheapest way to do things while the booklet writer is trying to hide the cheapest way so
that most people will say "f*** it" and just sign up for what the banker tells them to sign up
for.)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rustynail » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:45 am

In our home we keep a small credit union savings/checking account which we run our household with which is entirely fee free, and a Fidelity Cash Management/401/Roth with free bill pay set up which has also worked out free.
I am always looking for 90% Halves and fractional Gold..to buy or trade for..PM Me
Rustynail

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions