Unlimited FDIC coverage

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Unlimited FDIC coverage

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I dont think Ive heard any mention of it on RC but wanted to see if there were any thoughts or opinions. Certain accounts qualify for unlimited FDIC coverage.
http://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/changes.html
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Unlimited FDIC coverage

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Backed by the "full faith" and "credit", huh. :roll:

Is it just me, are do you think others might question how much of either is left?

Back on Nov 11 of last year I mentioned this and I think there was a collective yawn from the board:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1480&p=11177&hilit=Unlimited+FDIC+coverage#p11177
Copper Catcher

Postby TXBullion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 am

I know you keep us updated with FDIC, figured you may have posted but I missed it.

Oh well. I wonder what the reasoning is behind it? Is it to incentivize holding in non interest bearing accounts?
TXBullion

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am

The way I see it: The key words are "non-interest bearing" So, basically your grandmother has all her life savings in the bank worth $300,000 and if it is in an interest bearing account and the bank goes belly up and the FDIC comes to the rescue she may only get $250,000 but if the account is non-interest bearing she gets it all, assuming the government is still in the business of having money printed out the wa-zoo.

This link goes into a ton of details about all the goodies in the law.....some good for the banks and some supposedly good for consumers:
http://www.gklaw.com/news.cfm?action=pu ... on_id=1008
Copper Catcher

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:The way I see it: The key words are "non-interest bearing" So, basically your grandmother has all her life savings in the bank worth $300,000 and if it is in an interest bearing account and the bank goes belly up and the FDIC comes to the rescue she may only get $250,000 but if the account is non-interest bearing she gets it all, assuming the government is still in the business of having money printed out the wa-zoo.

This link goes into a ton of details about all the goodies in the law.....some good for the banks and some supposedly good for consumers:
http://www.gklaw.com/news.cfm?action=pu ... on_id=1008

They will just hand grandma a fresh new $500,000 bill and tell her she can keep the change.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions