Invest in food

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Invest in food

Postby Z00 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am

You know that food prices are rising when a bullion investor tells you to invest in food.
Stockpiling is not just for a survival situation anymore.

http://etfdailynews.com/2015/03/19/invest-in-food/
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Invest in food

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:21 am

You heard it here first...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30992
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 am

been doing this for years. Anything you plan on using, as well. Shoes, toothpaste, socks, etc. One bottled brand of garlic stuffed olives
I buy went up from $4.09 to $5.85 recently. The price will likely have risen again by the time I chomp through the previous case of them
I'd already stockpiled.

They say you can't eat silver or gold... this disproves that maxim, as long as you've diversified a bit. ;)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 am

Venezuela

This is a story you are not hearing much about that is happening now....

Monthly Salary of $20 Shows Why Venezuelans Wait in Food Lines
An entire month's paycheck still isn't enough for a minimum-wage worker in Venezuela to feed a family. Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... food-lines

Back in August of 2014 the Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro announced that the government will soon introduce fingerprint scanners at supermarkets in an effort to ration individuals’ food purchases and prevent food smuggling. And guess what, that is now a reality.

So boys and girls let’s stop and ponder for a moment and think about a government that has instituted biometric security scans to limit public purchases of price-controlled grocery items. If you have purchased a copy of my book titled Your Privacy and Security found on www.amazon.com, shameless plug, then you already know that if you have a license to drive then your state already has done a facial scan on you without you knowing about it and that is now in a national database. Doesn’t it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Happy Friday!
Copper Catcher

Postby Treetop » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 pm

My obligatory post.

don't forget food production. This can take many forms, from edible landscaping to letting a few goats or sheep roam the back 40. Perhaps a few rabbits or chickens with space to expand so you could keep a breeding population and expand as needed. All of these things can give you options when others do not have them, or rely only on stocked items. Many edibles in my yard would not be recognized as edibles by most who see them. Even most gardeners and people involved with plants, I have lots of ignored things.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm

As the droughts across the world keep hanging on year-after-year, it might be a good time to start researching drought-tolerant food sources for your gardens. Like delicious prickly pears.  ;)

And getting used to the taste of lizards and snakes for protein (kidding... sort of).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:As the droughts across the world keep hanging on year-after-year, it might be a good time to start researching drought-tolerant food sources for your gardens. Like delicious prickly pears.  ;)

And getting used to the taste of lizards and snakes for protein (kidding... sort of).

We got Snakes in flyover country! No - not the politician kind of snakes, the actual snakes. They taste a little like chicken. The other kind I assume taste like Shat!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:28 pm

A shocking number of plants are edible, including many in your own yard.
I stock so much food I recently stopped shopping and started giving it away and eating it up because much of it is getting too old. I buy in bulk and/or with coupons and sales to keep the cost down.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions