Cashless world, things you must buy with a card?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Cashless world, things you must buy with a card?

Postby coppernickel » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Buying gas I was reviewing ways to move to all cash, as a budget tool.

I realised in this area it is next to impossible to buy gas without a card.

What things are you finding are hard to buy, off the card?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Cashless world, things you must buy with a card?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Not sure impossible is the best word but very inconvenient is common. Hotels and rental cars and air travel are difficult without a card. Gas is more convenient with a card but you can certainly prepay with cash.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 pm

68Camaro wrote: Gas is more convenient with a card but you can certainly prepay with cash.

I've always seen prepay pumps as a sign that it's time to move.

Gas station gift cards are a decent way to avoid CCs with the convenience of paying at the pump or filling up after-hours.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 pm

The annual Rock-in-Rio festival is in Vegas this year, a few blocks from my place in fact. Thought about walking over and checking out the scene but discovered it's cashless - "Your wristband is your wallet".

http://rockinrio.com/usa/cashless/

Edit: Just talked to someone who went. Single beers were $12.50 :o and if you weren't careful, vendors added tips to the price since tip cups weren't allowed. He talked to people who said vendors eventually started adding tips without even asking people. :evil: Some people spent far more on food than admission! And if you didn't spend all the money you uploaded to your wristband, they charged you $3 to get the balance back in cash.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby deacon » Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 am

$3 to get a refund? That's robbery. Im surprised that they call it a refund instead of converting rock points to dollars. Either way lots of events are creating their own fun money recently. People must not be converting the fun money back into dollars.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby coindood » Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 pm

deacon wrote:$3 to get a refund? That's robbery. Im surprised that they call it a refund instead of converting rock points to dollars. Either way lots of events are creating their own fun money recently. People must not be converting the fun money back into dollars.

That's what I thought. Apparently it's free to have the money refunded to a debit or credit card.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:10 pm

I just went back to .. more or less .. cash but I still have a pocket full of credit cards, I try to use them for the cash back purposes but hate getting CC bills in the mail a month later. I tried something new, you spend on CC, move the funds from checking into a separate savings account.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions