Solar Storms Headed Our Way

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Solar Storms Headed Our Way

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:06 am

Got your xpf factor 200? This is going to happen, only the severity of the effects are subject to conjecture. Consider the ramifications. Comments, anyone?

http://www.examiner.com/exopolitics-in- ... s-collapse :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Solar Storms Headed Our Way

Postby fasteddy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 am

I read it, interesting, sounds very plausible, a two year old article, preparation is necessary, see nickelless' threads for such....IT WAS WRITTEN ON APRIL 1ST! HAH! ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 pm

beauanderos wrote:Got your xpf factor 200? This is going to happen, only the severity of the effects are subject to conjecture. Consider the ramifications. Comments, anyone?

Wear broad brim hats, long sleeved shirts, and long pants. Does Nickeless have a thread specifically for solar flares?

Just think what this is going to do the all those California nudist colonies! :o :P
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Got your xpf factor 200? This is going to happen, only the severity of the effects are subject to conjecture. Consider the ramifications. Comments, anyone?

Wear broad brim hats, long sleeved shirts, and long pants. Does Nickeless have a thread specifically for solar flares?

Just think what this is going to do the all those California nudist colonies! :o :P

Not much to worry about. Nothing that has not happened before. The only problem now is technology. And we're adapting that as much as possible to avoid such problems.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fb101 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

The problem is we'll have to listen to everyone blaming solar storms on global warming :(
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverguy0001 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 am

So this is strange and somewhat related to this. I don't know if you all have been reading anything about magnetic polar shift, but out of curiosity I decided to run a little experiment. I placed a compass on a desk, and aligned the red side of the needle of the compass to north "N" on the compass. It's been sitting there untouched for about a month. Now that same compass in the exact same spot I placed it, is now aligned at 270 degrees exactly west. So in one month it changed 90 degrees. Magnetic north is now West.

Any thoughts?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... hypothesis

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... netic_Pole

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -core.html

"Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core, new research says."

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... c_reversal

"A geomagnetic reversal is a change in the orientation of Earth's magnetic field such that the positions of magnetic north and magnetic south become interchanged. These events often involve an extended decline in field strength followed by a rapid recovery after the new orientation has been established. These events occur on a scale of tens of thousands of years or longer, with the latest one (the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal) occurring 780,000 years ago."

"Evidence of geomagnetic reversals can be seen at mid-ocean ridges where tectonic plates move apart and the seabed is filled in with magma. As the magma seeps out of the mantle the magnetic particles contained within it are oriented in the direction of the magnetic field at the time the magma cools and solidifies."

"Effects on biosphere and human society

Because the magnetic field has never been observed to reverse by humans with instrumentation, and the mechanism of field generation is not well understood, it is difficult to say what the characteristics of the magnetic field might be leading up to such a reversal.

Some speculate that a greatly diminished magnetic field during a reversal period will expose the surface of the Earth to a substantial and potentially damaging increase in cosmic radiation. However, Homo erectus and their ancestors certainly survived many previous reversals, though they did not depend on computer systems that could be damaged by large coronal mass ejections.[citation needed]

There is no uncontested evidence that a magnetic field reversal has ever caused any biological extinctions. A possible explanation is that the solar wind may induce a sufficient magnetic field in the Earth's ionosphere to shield the surface from energetic particles even in the absence of the Earth's normal magnetic field.[14] Another possible explanation is that magnetic field actually does not vanish completely, with many poles forming chaotically in different places during reversal, until it stabilizes again.[11][15]"

http://www.examiner.com/exopolitics-in- ... s-collapse

"According to a December 16, 2008 report, NASA’s THEMIS spacecraft has discovered a hole in earth’s magnetic field which is 10 times as large as previously thought. The magnetosphere, which is designed to protect earth from the plasma of solar flares, now has a hole in it four time the size of the earth."
silverguy0001

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 am

It could not have moved 90 degrees in a month. Something metallic in the immediate environment moved, and influenced the compass. Or something electric has been switched on or off.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 am

If communications are disrupted, I can only hope that the hype from the shopping channels, Judge Whomever shows, all of the man-hating channels and Geraldo Rivera are obliterated for a very long time.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverguy0001 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am

IdahoCopper wrote:It could not have moved 90 degrees in a month. Something metallic in the immediate environment moved, and influenced the compass. Or something electric has been switched on or off.

Oops. :) Yeah it was a screwdriver. I didn't even think about it. sorry
silverguy0001

Postby DirtyFingers » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm

"The magnetosphere, which is designed to protect earth from the plasma of solar flares, now has a hole in it four time the size of the earth".

I got a chuckle out of the use of the word designed. I wonder who designed it? Boy that could open up a can of worms.

DF
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions