Looking for Stock Mkt. App for iPhone

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Looking for Stock Mkt. App for iPhone

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:12 am

Hey everyone:

I don't even have an iPhone, but I'm trying to assist a friend with a stock market type question.

Is there an app for an iPhone which will read the price of a stock to a person while they are driving? If a person keys in the symbol for Microsoft (MSFT), they want to be able to put the iPhone down on the seat and have it tell them every time that MSFT moves up or down a few cents (while they are driving). They don't want to be required to refresh the screen to get a new quote. Also, the quote should be real-time, not delayed.

I asked a stock broker about this, but they didn't know. Also, please let me know if the user pays just a one-time fee to buy the app or if there are charges for each quote.

Anyone know about this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Looking for Stock Mkt. App for iPhone

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:57 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Hey everyone:

I don't even have an iPhone, but I'm trying to assist a friend with a stock market type question.

Is there an app for an iPhone which will read the price of a stock to a person while they are driving? If a person keys in the symbol for Microsoft (MSFT), they want to be able to put the iPhone down on the seat and have it tell them every time that MSFT moves up or down a few cents (while they are driving). They don't want to be required to refresh the screen to get a new quote. Also, the quote should be real-time, not delayed.

I asked a stock broker about this, but they didn't know. Also, please let me know if the user pays just a one-time fee to buy the app or if there are charges for each quote.

Anyone know about this?

That would be a pretty "intense" app for a phone to be able to do. It would require constant refreshing in real time which would kill the battery very quickly. I am not 100% sure but I don't think an app like this exists.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Looking for Stock Mkt. App for iPhone

Postby natsb88 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:19 pm

It would also use a lot of data. I also don't think you'll find an app with live quotes without a monthly fee, since the app developer would have to pay for the data feed. The free stuff is generally on a delay.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions