How valuable will base metal coins be in Hyperinflation?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

How valuable will base metal coins be in Hyperinflation?

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:27 pm

I've been googling and searching. There was a story of either an old woman or a priest that saved a bathtub of copper pennies and used them to get through the inflation in Germany after WWI.

Here is a thread on snopes.com about it, but if you search there are other accounts of it also.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=42738

I just wonder if the general public is going to accept a nickel beyond face value, even in hyperinflation where it's metal value is 30 or 40 times face.

I know in Argentina, coins where hoarded, and still are. I read some accounts where coins where hoarded in other countries, and other accounts where coins where worthless.

I think a lot has to do with the metal the coin is made of, but even an aluminum or zinc coin would be worth more than face value. Seems most Governments in hyperinflation just drop coins all together and just print notes.

Guess I'm just starting to doubt the wisdom in stacking Nickels as an hedge against hyperinflation. I know it will pay one day, but how long will I have to wait?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: How valuable will base metal coins be in Hyperinflation?

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 pm

One more thing, I always notice that Government start the beginning period of inflation by debasing the coins, as far back as the Roman period. Coins usually go from being silver and gold, and then going to Copper then zinc, tin, aluminum, etc

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/hyper.htm#ROMAN

I noticed the latest One dollar coins are made of the cheapest materials yet.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm

If nothing else they will retain there metal value.

In the case of a devaluing of currency the coins will probably retain their value in relation to the "new" dollar, i.e. if 100 "old" dollars are exchanged for 1 "new" dollar the .gov will not replace all the coins in circulation. A dime will still be 1/10th of one of the "new" dollars.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Interesting topic, would love to see what others think. I tend to agree with one of the snoops posters who said they basically become worthless. Why I think that is...think about it, how many actually realize the value of a silver coin these days...let alone a common cu cent..
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fusscharles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm

I guess everyone will gain acumen on coin dates (82 coppers and 64 silvers) pretty quick, but I wonder if the rarer stuff like war nickesl and post 64 halves will be as liquid.... I can see myself trying to convince the local shop that a 69 halves are worth more than ones from later dates.

I know if there was truely an earth rattling event, Im going to every bank and buying all the nickels in the vault.... My morbid mind already has it planned out ;-)
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby franklin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:09 am

"I know if there was truely an earth rattling event, Im going to every bank and buying all the nickels in the vault.... "

What if they can't get the darn thing open?
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:51 am

Found this thread over on kitco-

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=73376
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:I've been googling and searching. There was a story of either an old woman or a priest that saved a bathtub of copper pennies and used them to get through the inflation in Germany after WWI.

Here is a thread on snopes.com about it, but if you search there are other accounts of it also.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=42738

I just wonder if the general public is going to accept a nickel beyond face value, even in hyperinflation where it's metal value is 30 or 40 times face.

I know in Argentina, coins where hoarded, and still are. I read some accounts where coins where hoarded in other countries, and other accounts where coins where worthless.

I think a lot has to do with the metal the coin is made of, but even an aluminum or zinc coin would be worth more than face value. Seems most Governments in hyperinflation just drop coins all together and just print notes.

Guess I'm just starting to doubt the wisdom in stacking Nickels as an hedge against hyperinflation. I know it will pay one day, but how long will I have to wait?

Check out the classic realcent vault and find the story of the woman and the bathtub.
http://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4608
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fusscharles » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Franklin... why do you have to throw a cat amonst the pigeons of my plans?
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Beau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 am

what denomination of coins would you keep for when the SHTF and why?

would you keep

pennies

nickles

dimes

quarters

half dollars

I know you would keep silver and gold as long as possible.

THANKS Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rickygee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Here is THE question you can answer for yourself to determine the worth of copper, nickel, silver, gold, palladium, platinum, etc.

If you're hungry, very, very hungry how much metal will you trade for an envelope of two POP TARTS?

If your wife and kids are more hungry than you...
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 am

if you compare a clad quarter with a nickel, the nickel will be worth more because the fiat value will become irrelevant in a hyperinflation.

in a world market, all things being equal (e.g. copper does not get more valuable), the nickel will retain its current purchasing power. about 2-4 of them to buy an egg.

in narrow markets, like weimar germany, there will be big price dislocations. when people are hungry, they'll let their grand piano and huge homes sell for much less than what they originally paid for them. but they'll only sell for real assets - metals, food, or other barterable goods. in this sense, the purchasing power of these metal coins will rise above their original purchasing power, but only when measured against deflating assets.

you have seen this phenomena occur to a mild extent in the U.S. already. Silver coins have risen equal to their metal value, but more than their metal value when measured in deflating assets such as residential real estate.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions