What were the biggest surprises in your lifetime.

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

What were the biggest surprises in your lifetime.

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 am

Fun thread I hope.

What are some top surprises in your lifetime regarding price fluctuations, on anything you were invested in.

Did you win or lose?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What were the biggest surprises in your lifetime.

Postby franklin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:37 am

That my Olympus film cameras would become obsolete as quickly as they did.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Zimbabwe $100 Trillion bills. I bought a couple bundles of 50 in 2013 for about $3.50 per bill. I sold them on my website for $6 - $7 each and sold the last ~25 to a member here for like $5.50 each at the end of the year.

They now sell for $40+ each on eBay.
natsb88

Postby Landrover » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 pm

I bought a couple of t-shirts from Woolrich with a picture of a Toyota Land Cruiser on the back for $3.50 each. I sold two on ebay for $30. Drove right back up to Woolrich (PA) and bought the remaining stock. I told them I was in a Land Cruiser club (I was at the time). They had about 10 more shipped in from another store. I think I sold a total of 18 of them anywhere from $27-35. Now if I could just sell the Land Rover and buy a vehicle that isn't older than me.....
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Fancy pickup trucks - thought them a fad. (Of course I came from a place where we wanted vinyl seats and no carpet to make it easier to hose the dirt out of them.)

SUVs - ditto.

Boston Market, enron, worldcom. Lost a boatload on them back when I was stupid enough to listen to a stockbroker.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Being into war games (think Avalon Hill way back when I started) I went to a war gamer conference and saw some kids playing a card type war game. The cards had really cool artwork so I watched them play for a while. After a few rounds of completely not understanding the game but liking the art I asked "what are you playing?" the answer "magic the gathering, it just came out." was replied. I walked away from their table saying "that will never last more than two years."

I've never been more wrong about a "war" game and I still don't know how to play it . . . very well at all.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:00 pm

As a young teen working a paper route and on a local farm I "invested" a fair portion of my earnings into baseball cards. They are worth a small portion of what I had paid for them. Even worse a guy working at a card store one time told me to buy silver dollars instead and that cards were for rubes. Silver was just a few bucks an ounce back then, id have had a few multiples of my saved money if I went with that over the cards.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:53 pm

There are a few books that have surprised me. One in particular, I went online to get a copy of one for a friend (I didn't want to lend my copy, because I like the book too much), and the cheapest I could find was about $95. I just checked Amazon, and right now the cheapest used paperback is $145.50. I probably bought the book new for about $13.

On the disappointment surprise front, was when they re-released Traveling Wilburys. I thought I was sitting on a nice little musical investment that would go up with each death, and then... they re-released the damn albums. *Grumble*
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:11 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Being into war games (think Avalon Hill way back when I started) I went to a war gamer conference and saw some kids playing a card type war game. The cards had really cool artwork so I watched them play for a while. After a few rounds of completely not understanding the game but liking the art I asked "what are you playing?" the answer "magic the gathering, it just came out." was replied. I walked away from their table saying "that will never last more than two years."

I've never been more wrong about a "war" game and I still don't know how to play it . . . very well at all.

I'll display my ignorance and declare that I've never heard of "magic the gathering".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby silverflake » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Bought a number of rolls of walking liberty halves and Franklin halves in the early 90's for $35 each. Sure they are off their peak but I am still holding.

Also bought a slew of John Marzano 1984 Topps Olympic baseball rookie cards back in 1985. I believe I used them as kindling in the wood stove a couple years back.

Win some, lose some.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 pm

I have one from the Craps table that I'll share. I walked up to a crowded table with all the players busy getting their bets down. There was a side bet called the "Fire Bet" that just about everyone, if not everyone but me, put a $5 chip on. I wasn't familiar with it so I declined to make the bet. The shooter then proceeded to make one point after another until he got all six numbers before the seven eventually came up. The Fire Bet pays 1000 to 1 when that happens. Sure it was nice filling the rack with red and green chips during that run but I was the only not receiving the $5,000 chip for the Fire Bet payout.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 pm

natsb88 wrote:Zimbabwe $100 Trillion bills. I bought a couple bundles of 50 in 2013 for about $3.50 per bill. I sold them on my website for $6 - $7 each and sold the last ~25 to a member here for like $5.50 each at the end of the year.

I'll second the vote for the hyperinflation ravaged nation from Africa. Sold a bunch of "Z" notes for $4 each in 2009. Kept watching online for price movement and finally gave up after several years. Recently saw that these were selling for $40-60 each. Fortunately I kept 100 notes for myself with a cost of zero.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:21 am

The lowly zinc 2009 P presidency cent penny. Picked up my order of $400.00 back when I was hand sorting.
Got home with order and was frustrated at receiving all that dam zinc.
Ka-ching, first few boxes on fee bay went for $150. each net. Last ones went at $300. each.
Last I checked BU unopened box asking was around$1000.00
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Kurr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Same thing, I picked up $250 face of the 2009 railsplitter boxes on a run, called APMEX when I got home, and traded them happily for a 1500.00 check.

I think I still have a full box or better of the opening day rolls, postmaked with the Lincoln City postmark to prove they were opening day rolls, wonder what theyre worth now?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:59 am

Much better return than sorted coppers with minimal effort. I did get lucky with some 2008's as well since collectors/savers wanted them as well.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Not directly economic related but April 2015 finding out we would have identical twin girls in November 2015.. still look at them in amazement
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bluejuice915 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:48 am

Finding out I was a National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalist. I'm the first person from my school in at least the last three years to get this and not be the valedictorian or salutatorian (who of course also got it this year.) Yay me.
-_-
I want to be wrong, except it's so satisfying to say I was right.
... and the world descended into chaos as the select survivors cried about the surrounding stupidity.
bluejuice915

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:58 am

bluejuice915 wrote:Finding out I was a National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalist. I'm the first person from my school in at least the last three years to get this and not be the valedictorian or salutatorian (who of course also got it this year.) Yay me.

Well done!

There can be a relationship between grades and learning, but grades are not everything. (I was also a semi-finalist, one with marginal grades who tested well to the surprise of many of my teachers. I didn't grade well mostly because I was unchallenged and distracted by other things, so I would do my own thing in many of the classes - usually reading unrelated subjects, and while relatively "smart" I wasn't so smart that I could always grade well on things that I hadn't studied). In hindsight I would have been better off to have paid more attention to my studies, but what was even more important was that I did still learn - really learned (not just short-term memorization to be later forgotten) - in my own way, and so the learning I did was critical.

(Just don't presume that complete inattention to grades is a worthy model for the rest of life. Eventually we will find ourselves given "grades" that will matter, if nothing else on the results we produce.)
68Camaro

Postby chris6084 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:19 pm

I've had some interesting luck with CD's

I was going through some of my CD's many years ago looking to get rid of some and found a CD that was not mine. I had no idea where it came from, probably got put in my stack somehow from one of my college roomates. So I put it up on ebay starting at 99 cents and it sold for about $100. I had several people message me after saying that they would pay the high bid if the bidder backed out. One even told me the CD was worth much more. I have no idea what happened with that, because I can buy the same CD on ebay now for $15.

I had another CD at the same time that I had paid $10 for and it sold for $140 to some guy in Sweden. He even mailed me cash for payment.

On the downside, there was a CD store in Phoenix that regularly would do a deal where if you brought in 5 used CD's you could trade them in for 1 new one. I would go to Circuit City, buy 5 99 cent CD's take them to the store making the offer and end up getting a new CD for 5 bucks. One time I missed the deadline and was stuck with the 5 CD's until they made the deal again. I decided to listen to them, and one was very interesting. OFR by Nitro. A very unique metal band. Anyways, I had 2 copies that I paid 99 cents each for and ended up trading in. I've looked them up periodically since then on ebay. That CD is very rare, hardly ever on ebay and I have seen it go for over $70 when it does sell. I could have had at least 10 of them for 99 cents each.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
natsb88 wrote:Zimbabwe $100 Trillion bills. I bought a couple bundles of 50 in 2013 for about $3.50 per bill. I sold them on my website for $6 - $7 each and sold the last ~25 to a member here for like $5.50 each at the end of the year.

I'll second the vote for the hyperinflation ravaged nation from Africa. Sold a bunch of "Z" notes for $4 each in 2009. Kept watching online for price movement and finally gave up after several years. Recently saw that these were selling for $40-60 each. Fortunately I kept 100 notes for myself with a cost of zero.

The 100 notes that I first put up for sale here sold on eBay for $4,222.00 ($42.22 each). The starting bid on this site was $2,995., and there were no bids (which I understand). Funny how things work out sometimes.

FYI- I still have one extra note that I keep in my wallet.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions