Why we stack

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Why we stack

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:55 pm

AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Why we stack

Postby beauanderos » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 pm

I'm torn between continuing to stack... and stacking fiat. Of late, I've been dollar-cost-averaging into currency for my emergency stash. As events develop globally,
I am becoming even more convicted of paying down debt... and having as much as a year's worth of small bill currency (nothing larger than twenties) in the emergency fund.

One benefit of paying down debt is that the amount needed to hit that "year's worth of bills" mark gets less as time goes on. And, as it does, one can then revert to stacking
the shiny. :thumbup:

One thing I think that few people consider is this. In a black swan world where currency is considerably scarce... who is going to be able to buy your metals, regardless of their
putative value? The market demand from preppers may fall off if they are more concerned with survival than a financially sound portfolio. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Well said. Ideally having a three month supply of food and consumable goods first would be better insurance.(more if the budget allows). After building up the pantry then a stack of small denomination currency should be considered. (Crimes against citizens will probably become a problem as people go to banks , ATM's). Better to be prepared and not be a victim. Once personal survival needs are met would I consider stacking again.
If it gets to the point of currency availability I would think that PM's could be found at a discount when you are in a position to buy with FRN's when no one has any cash paper.
Keeping your cash safe a home in a safe would probably be best bet ( buying a good safe would be IMO good debt.) In addition to it being a solid tangible which wouldn't lose value.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Stacked pantry, PMs stack, nickel and copper coin stack, small denomination cash stack, emergency fund, all wise as are the debt payoff. But, you have to go with the trend which in this case today is strongly perceived dollar, strongly perceived stock market with both deflation/inflation in the system. Hard to say which way we will go in the short or mid-term. So, I continue to follow some of my "conventional" investment advisor's advice.

While I am currently in a situation where I have to show as little assets as possible for my son who is entering college next year (financial aid eligibility form). I will replenish the emergency fund in ways the current war on cash dislikes. This also gives me the opportunity to pay down debt even that with 0% interest. So some short-term decrease in security in exchange for less long-term financial obligation associated with kid's college.

It's all a balancing act while you play the game and cover your self for whatever happens. Nimble flexibility is the key. And in this case a diversification not accepted by conventional game players.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:21 pm

Between this story and the one from India where they demonetized more than half of their cash.

I get the feeling having a stack of useful metal may becoming sooner rather than later.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Those in Venezuela who are fortunate enough to have two seperate bank accounts may be able to get away with two withdrawals from an ATM if they can find one that has cash and endure the long line. But will two fistfuls of Bolivars be all that much better than just one fistful at their current inflation rate? Who knows how this will all end up for those poor folks down there.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:24 pm

Here's their latest attempt at a solution. Zimbabwe here we come!

Venezuela confirms bigger bills amid world's highest inflation
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSKBN13T0MJ
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions