Food for Thought

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Food for Thought

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:00 pm

You've heard me spout off about devolution and decentralization of the world's nations down to the state/regional level. If you can imagine no country larger than states, the economic power house of the world would be . . . California.

When was the last time you heard of any part of the rest of the world (sorry, you can't count the American states. You guys from OR and AZ keep quiet. LOL) being so pissed off at California they wanted to fly jet airplanes to crash into say LA, SF, or Sacramento?

I know Oakland, Riverside, San Pedro, and Santa Ana are off the radar!

Further discussion and alternative views encouraged.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Food for Thought

Postby Treetop » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:58 pm

I am not sure the logic holds it would end war. Back in the day city states waged war. We have regional conflicts all over the place in the last century. Sometimes in places without heavily maintained/acknowledged borders. There are still threats real and perceived in the world, and threats are what caused our own states to make a single nation for defense origionally, or a major part of it anyway.

All that said I do strongly agree most decisions should be at the level of the state, or even city or county. I know there are complications with that but imo there are more when things are done nationally or potentially globally the way some things are still moving.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bluejuice915 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Great Sci-Fi/dystopia novel. Begins on the principle of a terrorist group blowing up San Francisco (I needed auto-correct to spell that). Fiction, yes, but the Golden Gate Bridge is a pretty significant symbol of American commerce, intelligence, and infrastructure (This I spelled correctly).

And I agree with Treetop here, Greece being the most prominent justification. City States might work OK, but we will have to expect greater conflict due to the greater number of groups that can piss you off.

Not a bad thought dad, but not entirely practical or realistic in today's centralized world.
-_-
I want to be wrong, except it's so satisfying to say I was right.
... and the world descended into chaos as the select survivors cried about the surrounding stupidity.
bluejuice915

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm

bluejuice915 wrote:Image

Great Sci-Fi/dystopia novel. Begins on the principle of a terrorist group blowing up San Francisco (I needed auto-correct to spell that). Fiction, yes, but the Golden Gate Bridge is a pretty significant symbol of American commerce, intelligence, and infrastructure (This I spelled correctly).

What's the name of the book? Images get blocked here at the high school. You have this? and haven't offered to let me read yet??

bluejuice915 wrote:And I agree with Treetop here, Greece being the most prominent justification. City States might work OK, but we will have to expect greater conflict due to the greater number of groups that can piss you off.

Not a bad thought dad, but not entirely practical or realistic in today's centralized world.

Imagine, having to justify my self to my own child. This is going to be fun.

1st of all does mom know you are on the computer? Better have all your homework and chores done! 2nd, you are not allowed to agree with Treetop he may be as smart or smarter than you. You must stay humble or neutral until you are 35. 3rd, are you expecting a ride home from Scouts tonight? 4th, I still got friends here on RC. Keep this up and I'll sic engineer on you. He'll ban you over on BS and good luck completing all your Kitchen Sink Lego sales young man.

5th, I get the pissed off neighbors part. That's why I said people fro OR and AZ couldn't comment. It's like the surfers in Santa Barbara with their graffiti " LA Tourists go home, but leave us your $$ and daughters". 6th, my main point is California wouldn't be pissing off a host of international terrorists or say a 1/4th or even an 1/8th of the radical Islamic population in the world or even our own allies like the United States does to the point that China is picking up all our pieces in our own back yard like the Pacific, Central and South America. 7th, the only time I am a realist is when someone is injured and at the economic level of our family. Otherwise, I'm a visionary. Start treating me like the great one I am.

Enough said, good job humbling your self after the 3 block of run after Scouts ended. I think you get it.

Dad
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:36 am

You all know of course this is humor between my son and I (except for point #6)? He called me from Scouts when I was putting this up and we laughed a ton. He even helped me finish it when I got him back to the school. Guess I need to work on my delivery. Of course, the possibility exists I'm not funny. :(
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am

I took it as familial humor but thought it best to not get in the middle of it ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions