Misleading Government Terms

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Misleading Government Terms

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I bet there are going to be quite a few items to put in this thread, but thought it would be interesting to begin a list of government terms that are often used to mislead young, gullible voters (not that I'm trying to pick on the young). Here are a couple to start:

Affordable Care Act (there are some places where the price of healthcare has gone through the roof since the ACA was enacted).

Net Neutrality (the concept of making the internet fair to everyone is a noble one, but it appears that it isn't realistic)

What else can everyone think of? I imagine there will be quite a few entries...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Misleading Government Terms

Postby coppernickel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am

Hispanic -- the term gives preferential treatment to those who meet two critera;
1- Anyone born in or descended from anyone born in any area ever ruled by Spain. This includes most of the American south and west.
2- Anyone who claims the title. You can be Hispanic if you claim to be.
The term was created by Uncle Sam about the 1970s, it was not possible to be Hispanic before them.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 am

"I'm from the Government! I'm here to help!"
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm looking at a $1 bill. I remember when it used to say "Silver Certificate", which later became something like "backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government". Now it says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

What it might say in the near future...

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private...FOR NOW ANYWAY!" :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm

A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?"
Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I'm the breadwinner of the family, so let's call me capitalism. Your Mom, she's the administrator of the money, so we'll call her the Government. We're here to take care of your needs, so we'll call you the people. The nanny, we'll consider her the Working Class. And your baby brother, we'll call him the Future. Now, think about that and see if that makes sense,"
So the little boy goes off to bed thinking about what dad had said.
Later that night, he hears his baby brother crying, so he gets up to check on him. He finds that the baby has severely soiled his diaper. So the little boy goes to his parents' room and finds his mother sound asleep. Not wanting to wake her, he goes to the nanny's room. Finding the door locked, he peeks in the keyhole and sees his father in bed with the nanny. He gives up and goes back to bed. The next morning, the little boy says to his father, "Dad, I think I understand the concept of politics
now."
The father says, "Good son, tell me in your own words what you think politics is all about."
The little boy replies, "Well, while Capitalism is screwing the Working Class, the Government is sound asleep, the People are being ignored and the Future is in deep poo."
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm

hobo finds wrote: The little boy replies, "Well, while Capitalism is screwing the Working Class, the Government is sound asleep, the People are being ignored and the Future is in deep poo."

I love that story!

Recyclersteve

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions