Silver hits 100 then what

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Silver hits 100 then what

Postby whatsnext » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

So if silver hits 90-100 or so would that be as good as gold?

The market for people buying would drop b/c like ebay bids come in over and over but your really at the spending mercy of the guy/gal(s) with the big buckets of spending moneys.

It only heats up at the end when someone with credit or real money just wants it and wants to out bid the other. So taking this actual market activity and applying to it silver would you expect that the price could fall faster than it rose over and over in extreme volatility.

I know gold holds a higher prices with higher amounts of physical, but gold is simi safe money.

I kinda forget where I was going, but thats the jist of it.

-------------------Does anybody have any ideas about this point in price they wish to share?-------------------------
Last edited by whatsnext on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Silver hits 100 then what

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 am

whatsnext wrote:The market for people buying would drop b/c like ebay bids come in over and over but your really at the spending mercy of the guy/gal(s) with the big buckets of spending moneys...

Comparing the PM market to eBay does not come close to a good representation. You're thinking too small. Think bigger than your safe... think swimming pools... think large walk in vaults... think furnaces that will fit an SUV inside...

eBay is NOT the silver market. If it dries up there, that is because those on eBay are not the real buyers. 99% of those on eBay work in handfuls, whereas the real buyers are thinking truckloads.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby whatsnext » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
Comparing the PM market to eBay does not come close to a good representation. You're thinking too small. Think bigger than your safe... think swimming pools... think large walk in vaults... think furnaces that will fit an SUV inside...

eBay is NOT the silver market. If it dries up there, that is because those on eBay are not the real buyers. 99% of those on eBay work in handfuls, whereas the real buyers are thinking truckloads.

You are correct about my thinking, my vision sees just what is around me(small timer).
I see ebay as the decent meeting ground for a market. It gets the attention of millions, not a selectd few people mostly interested in profit showing. -----albeit you can get better bulk deals form online stores if buying.

I think small people can affect the silver market, not so much the gold though. Common folk would go for silver first IMO.

I dont think it will dry up on ebay, maybe get bigger(b/c hand fulls add up, exchanging hands more often), and with a price expansion more hands show what they got looking for a buyer. Then it gets high so a selloff occurs causing price swings down, with painful ups followed.

High prices just cant be met with buyers for support.
Like ebay it is just getting the first few people to bid that gets the attention of uninterested interested. When they come in the first guys looking for a decent buy or steal drop off.
There are only so many people after that auction that will pay those prices for the flood of "same type auction" and buy it nows posted trying to get in on the high price they see as a "precedent price" and nobody buys them.
The trill of the auction is what gets the higher prices anyway. Happenstance

If its newly highed value was real they would have just started a .99 auction and let the market do the rest.

Bla Bla Bla

There are prices(around 100) that just cant be met with buyers (unless everyone is jumping dollar ship) but in the current market it seems like 100 is overkill(baring meltdown/meltup whatever).
Last edited by whatsnext on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm

At higher prices, you just get less ounces. That's one of the argument about gold vs. silver that I have never agreed with - the idea that "silver is poorman's gold" and "gold is too expensive". Instead of getting 1 oz of silver you can get approximately 1 gram of gold. Yes, yes, I know about the higher premiums on fractional gold and all that (although check out the premiums on ASEs these days), but my point is that in small enough quantities gold can be had at any budget.

Like when Bernanke said recently that the US could not have a gold-backed currency "because there is not enough gold". That is ludicrous, you simply re-evaluate the price of gold. Perhaps one day it will trade in milligrams or micrograms (electronically) or even in a tangible coin. Obviously a conventional microgram weighted coin is unrealistic I heard one suggestion of imbedding a testable speck/button/chip of gold inside of a larger coin-shaped disc made of plastic or some type of resin. In that manner, physical gold could be used again as currency in very minute quantities. That would be pretty neat.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby whatsnext » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:At higher prices, you just get less ounces. That's one of the argument about gold vs. silver that I have never agreed with - the idea that "silver is poorman's gold" and "gold is too expensive". Instead of getting 1 oz of silver you can get approximately 1 gram of gold. Yes, yes, I know about the higher premiums on fractional gold and all that (although check out the premiums on ASEs these days), but my point is that in small enough quantities gold can be had at any budget.

Like when Bernanke said recently that the US could not have a gold-backed currency "because there is not enough gold". That is ludicrous, you simply re-evaluate the price of gold. Perhaps one day it will trade in milligrams or micrograms (electronically) or even in a tangible coin. Obviously a conventional microgram weighted coin is unrealistic I heard one suggestion of imbedding a testable speck/button/chip of gold inside of a larger coin-shaped disc made of plastic or some type of resin. In that manner, physical gold could be used again as currency in very minute quantities. That would be pretty neat.

Gold simi standard is doable.

But children are being raised scientificly these days in school/college. They look at pennies as wasteful, not necessary. Gold/silver/metal money period are barbaric relics, they dont know any better.
Its whats hip and trendy that pervails. And there are no college class on sound money.

With the acceptance of electronic money being the majority of young peoples preferred way to spend. That shows they dont like paper and hate coins. Why do I think they hate coins?
Well on every forum I go to with a large population there is always a "people who pay with change in the checkout" tread, where wippersnapers post meaningless "I was held up for like 39.000348 seconds in line today because some poor person like paid with some correct change and pennies and stuff"
Followed by "people at walmart scare me, where do they come from?"

My responce is "i was held up today b/c some turd paid with a card and like had to swip it 5 times and then punch in like numbers and stuff which totally took like 3 minutes and forever today" (Actual language may very from quotes)

Young people prefer paper to coin, electrons to paper. Nobody likes dollar coins b/c there are only 2 places to spend them regularly. So unless gold coins are mandated it will not happen. IMO
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 am

whatsnext wrote:So if silver hits 90-100 or so would that be as good as gold?

-------------------Does anybody have any ideas about this point in price they wish to share?-------------------------

I'll be rich!! Rich I tells ya!! Bwahahahahaha! (NOT!) :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions