Track the Japanese Radiation Plume on it's way to California

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Track the Japanese Radiation Plume on it's way to California

Postby Country » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:35 pm

I have heard that the radioactive plume is composed of primarily Strontium and Cesium isotopes.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/485/144/Track_the_Radiation_Plume.html

A good defense is to build up antioxidents in yourself via supplementation - some preps for the possibilities.

(Iodine, Tocotrienols, Berries, and Lipoic Acid to Protect Against Radiation Exposure)

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/iodine_tocotrienols_berries_and_lipoic_acid_to_protect_against_radiation_ex/
Last edited by Country on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Track the Japanese Radiation Plume

Postby franklin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Since berries are included, would strawberry daiquiris qualify?
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Re: Track the Japanese Radiation Plume

Postby Country » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

franklin wrote:Since berries are included, would strawberry daiquiris qualify?

Nope... But, you'll have a pleasant time on the way out. 8-)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Track the Japanese Radiation Plume on it's way to Califo

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for the info, this is really serious.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks for the info Country! I have been looking for this and it doesn't seem to be too important for the MSM. They would rather report on the latest basketball championships with BHO comments.

My daughter is in her first trimester and we need to protect her as much as possible.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Redneck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:37 am

This is what everyone needs to worry about.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news ... r-tensions

MOX - mixed oxides of uranium and plutonium

This is bad $hit.

Really,really bad $hit.

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cerulean » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I watched the Pacfic region animation, and I thought, "Boy, it sure sucks to be in Kamchatka right now."

Note that the color scales for these animations are logarithmic, just like the Richter Scale. This means that most of this plume only has trace amounts of radiation. The parts severe enough to bother humans are not leaving the area of Japan without dissipating.
Last edited by Cerulean on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

Im no nuclear scientist but I think any amount of radioactive particles is not good for humans. It may be a paper cut juxtapose loosing a leg but it is still bad for you. It could also be the tiny paper cut today that kills you 10 years down the road.

Thats just like here in Ontario, two weeks ago 73000L of radioactive contaminated water was dumpped into Lake Ontario. When word of the dump got out this week the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission made a public announcement that this was not hazardus to human health. I dont buy that for one second. I think the people who make these statements should show this by drinking the contaminated water, bathing their family with it, wash their food and water their lawn with this "not hazardus to human health" water.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 am

I did take a few semesters of nuclear physics and reactor engineering in college. I don't call myself an expert, but I feel informed enough to approach this issue with scientific critical thought.

You are always being hit with radiation all the time, just by being a human being living on planet Earth. Radiation is part of our natural environment, and it's impossible to eliminate it completely. Is it harmful? Yes. Is the amount of damage done to you by this radiation negligible? Yes.

The Sv is a Sievert, a unit used to measure ionizing radiation dosage. You are being bombarded by 0.28 mSv per year from naturally occurring radioactive decay from elements in the Earth's crust. You get 0.24 mSv from the sky due to cosmic radiation (the very little that manages to penetrate the atmosphere). As a human being, you emit 0.40 mSv yourself per year. The Fukushima emergency workers are evacuated if they experience the equivalent of 250 mSv/year.

Without proper units on these animations for dosage, whether in rems, Sieverts, Grays, or rads, there is no way of knowing what this animation means to your health. If you think some of those purple swirls are wafting over your part of the world, you'd get the idea that your lawn will start to glow in the dark, when in fact it might be less radiation than you'd get on a cross-country flight. It might not even be detectable separate from all the other natural radiation that's already near you. These animations do not give you enough information to determine health risk... they are just presenting air movement. Until somebody measures unnaturally high doses of radiation on the West Coast, there's no point in worrying.

"Radiation", just like "bacteria", "mercury", "lead", and "cholesterol", is a word that people freak out about, thinking that any amount is unsafe. The truth is that dosage and exposure levels mean that there are shades of gray. There are unsafe levels, and there are reasonably safe levels. Our ability to measure really small doses gets better with time, and we are finding out just how common these "dangerous" substances are.

(In fact, if you were to sterilize your entire body so that no single living organism besides yourself remained, you would die. There are symbiotic bacteria living on your skin and in your body that benefit you and help keep you alive.) You get radiation from eating a banana.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:58 am

For actual nuclear physicist coverage of the Fukushima incident, y'all should be reading this:
http://mitnse.com/
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:Thats just like here in Ontario, two weeks ago 73000L of radioactive contaminated water was dumped into Lake Ontario. When word of the dump got out this week the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission made a public announcement that this was not hazardous to human health. I don't buy that for one second. I think the people who make these statements should show this by drinking the contaminated water, bathing their family with it, wash their food and water their lawn with this "not hazardous to human health" water.

Here is another good example of how dosage matters. If you drank, washed, and bathed ONLY with the contaminated water, you probably would have a problem. But when you mix it into Lake Ontario, things are different. 73,000 liters (3% of an Olympic swimming pool) is nothing compared to the 1,640,000,000,000,000 liters of water in Lake Ontario. Mixed together, that contaminated water amounts to only 0.00000000445% of the lake, less than half of one part per billion. That is negligible to human health, even if the contaminated liquid were lead paint. (The EPA does not take action against municipal water agencies unless 10% of samples exceed 15 parts per billion.)
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Cerulean wrote: (In fact, if you were to sterilize your entire body so that no single living organism besides yourself remained, you would die. There are symbiotic bacteria living on your skin and in your body that benefit you and help keep you alive.) You get radiation from eating a banana.
LOL, the mitichondria in our cells are a type of bacteria, so far as that goes.

I compare radiation to a fire: The hotter it is, the faster it burns the fuel and goes out. The longer it lasts, the "cooler" the fire. The iron in the chair people sit on might be "radioactive", if we accept a million year half life as "radioactive".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby No82s » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:47 pm

The solution to pollution is dilution!
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 pm

No82s wrote:The solution to pollution is dilution!
Medical saying: "The dose is the poison."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 pm

That's it, right there, right now. I'm protecting the noggin'...

"Ma'am, I only take my tinfoil hat off for one thing, and that's gotta be in a grounded lead lined room."
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 am

The normal radiation we are exposed to is fine, what I am worried about is the radioactive isotope particles that may be raining down upon where I live right now. I know it's dilute by the time it gets here but I'd rather not ingest one more particle of plutonium, uranium, strontium 90 or any other radioactive isotopes. Also with radioactive stuff dumped in water, there is the process of bio-accumulation that worries me. I like tasty fish but not toxic/radioactive ones. Also MIT is awash in Nuclear Industry money, so I would think they would not be very neutral.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 am

BlackRabbit, have you researched the mercury deposits along the California coast? I know of two that were large enough to mine, and that means there were probably more that were too small to bother with, and mercury is just naturally running off into the ocean near where you live. Also, the Mother Lode extended from roughly Stockton all the way north into Oregon (but in the Sierra Nevadas) and the placer miners used a lot of mercury where it would run off into the Sacremento River, and out the Golden Gate.

Bon Apetit. :P
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Do you know anyone dying of cancer, or has a degenerative neurological condition right now ? I have friends with both. I find it rather disturbing you joke about such things. :evil:
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 am

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/03/19/realtime-epa-japan-nuclear-fallout-radiation-graphs-west-coast-cities-9228/ The data in these graphs is what I was hoping to find. This makes me feel better knowing I can see any spike in radiation in the city of Eureka which I live a couple miles from. So far looks OK!
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:38 am

rickygee wrote:That's it, right there, right now. I'm protecting the noggin'...

"Ma'am, I only take my tinfoil hat off for one thing, and that's gotta be in a grounded lead lined room."

Lead is toxic and known to cause cancer. We are not even allowed lead in paint now.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Do you know anyone dying of cancer
Me. I need $1300 worth of medicine each month.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Mossy wrote:
blackrabbit wrote:Do you know anyone dying of cancer
Me. I need $1300 worth of medicine each month.

Oh, Mossy. I am very sorry to hear that.

I went through the easiest form of chemo during Nov. thru Feb. and I will tell anyone it really sucked. If that was bad.... I don't even want to imagine the harshest forms of chemo.

You have my sympathies. :(
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks.

Thems the breaks.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 am

Sorry to hear about your illness. I know a lot of folks with cancer and don't want anyone else to get it. That is why I am concerned about radioactive and other toxic pollution. I help a few Chemo patients with herbal medication.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 pm

No sweat.

Just gave you a poke, pointing out that we are surrounded by risk, and it got a little out of hand. Sorry.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions