Selling off treasuries next week?

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Selling off treasuries next week?

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 am

I read in the paper today that the united states is liquidating more debt. Any idea as to where? The paper failed to mention.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Re: Selling off treasuries next week?

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 am

John_doe wrote:I read in the paper today that the united states is liquidating more debt. Any idea as to where? The paper failed to mention.

I don't know specifically to what you're referring, but they constantly have bond auctions, and the buyers are whoever they can conjole into buying at the moment. Buyers recently used to consist of primarily the OPEC nations, China, Japan. Now I don't think they are buying - they are actually selling themselves. So I think at this point the Fed (and Treasury) are probably spending a lot of time trying to prepare buyers in advance, and twisting arms to get them sold. I suspect, within the US, the Fed is transferring newly created funds into member bank balances to allow them to buy them. (Thus, effectively, printing money.) This will happen untl the interest itself on the debt becomes untenable (in theory, a few more years could pass until that happens), and/or others completely lose faith. Other currencies, such as the Euro, may collapse first. The advantage the US has (if you can call it that), is that there doesn't appear to yet be a strong internal argument within the Fed or Executive that printing money is bad, so they can do it without much debate. The Europeans have to argue amongst themselves before they can do this.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 am

68Camaro wrote: ... The Europeans have to argue amongst themselves before they can do this.
Oh, my. The Europeans are smarter than the US about something? Wow.

Then again, we are stuck with lack wits in DC.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

Mossy wrote:
68Camaro wrote: ... The Europeans have to argue amongst themselves before they can do this.

It just means we can go out of control faster, with less argument...!! :shock:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby John_doe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 pm

It was something to the tune of 2 billion usd, in 2 year treasuries. I believe most of our debt is being moved from china/japan to Mexico. I just wasn't sure about this particular selloff.

It is slated for Monday.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Mossy wrote:

You spelled black wrong.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions