Local Community College Advertising on Dollarcollapse.com

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Local Community College Advertising on Dollarcollapse.com

Postby theo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm

One of my favorite sites is (not surprisingly) dollarcollapse.com. This morning I noticed that my local community college (CCAC) was advertising on it (at the top of the page). I'm guessing that only those in western Pa and surrounding areas can see it. Anyway, does it strike anybody as odd that an organization so heavily supported by government is advertising on such a website?

Are they any similar advertisments in other parts of the U.S./Canada?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Local Community College Advertising on Dollarcollapse.co

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

I am not familiar with that particular site but..Companies are not independently advertising on "that site" or any site for that matter. Follow me here. Rather ad space on most sites is leased/sold to google.....then google places ads for companies that have purchased ad space tailored to your own personal browsing history in those leased slots. Yep, No wonder APMEX ads are on every page I check. And yes, this ain't tin foil hat stuff.....its real. They are watching. :?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:09 pm

Test it.......browse chick's purses for an hour and check the adds along other pages.

.........yep more pocketbooks
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby theo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Test it.......browse chick's purses for an hour and check the adds along other pages.

.........yep more pocketbooks

Umm. . . well, that would expain the woman's lingere ads I keep seeing. . . :)
Last edited by theo on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Doc is right. Google's advertising program, called AdSense, does a wonderful job of keeping track of exactly the things you like to look at. Then, when a website that subscribes to AdSense is visited by you, the ads are set to display something relative to your interests. It's all anonymous (supposedly), so as of right now, Big Brother is still blind.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Corsair wrote:...Big Brother is still blind.

Can't read the Constitution, for sure.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NickelExpress » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:45 pm

my ONLY complaint with adsense is i get the same 5 ads over and over..APMEX, backcountry, few others and ect... maybe ill start loading up a bunch of the adult sites to make my advertising more enjoyable when im reading forums.
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:09 pm

That's why beauandero's webpages are always displaying ads for pie and same-sex networking.......Not that there is anything wrong with that.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions