New Fee to Bank Cash

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

New Fee to Bank Cash

Postby WizardTN » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

Bank of New York Mellon Corp. on Thursday took the extraordinary step of telling large clients it will charge them to hold cash.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903366504576488123965468018.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Now we know where the money is going.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Re: New Fee to Bank Cash

Postby WizardTN » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:32 am

You know, the more I think about this the more steamed I get.
The blatant message from the banks is "We really don't want your money unless we can play with it."

I called my bank yesterday to activate a new debit card on my business account. The customer service rep tried to convince me I should open a savings account for the business, so I could get some interest. I asked him what they were paying and he said "With bonuses it is 1.05%" I laughed and told him to buy silver.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 am

WizardTN wrote:...The customer service rep tried to convince me I should open a savings account for the business, so I could get some interest. I asked him what they were paying and he said "With bonuses it is 1.05%" I laughed and told him to buy silver.

I think the counter people are being instructed to encourage savings accounts so the bank has an excuse to carry more cash on hand.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:17 pm

With interest rates this low, I'm surprised they waited this long. Anyway, I know someone who works there. For what it is worth BNY Mellon sent around an internal memo claiming that the article misconstrued the facts and the new policy effects a comparatively small group of very large clients. Keep in mind that BNY Mellon offers very specialized products to corporate clients so this isn't quite the same as PNC charging us check fees. Having said that I agree that we will see higher banking fees in the future.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:01 pm

WizardTN wrote:You know, the more I think about this the more steamed I get.
The blatant message from the banks is "We really don't want your money unless we can play with it."

I called my bank yesterday to activate a new debit card on my business account. The customer service rep tried to convince me I should open a savings account for the business, so I could get some interest. I asked him what they were paying and he said "With bonuses it is 1.05%" I laughed and told him to buy silver.

New fee by me. If you need to replace your debit card they will charge you $5.00! Now don't they make money when I use the debit card? Back of mine is scratched up and won't work all the time!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:08 am

Solution A:

If you have more than $50,000,000 spread it amoung multiple banks

Solution B:

Get your own big assed safe and withdraw cash...

...hmmm, I know where there is a former Target Store that's been empty for years,
perfect place for a big assed safe. ^_^

Funny mental image of Apple withdrawing their "excess" cash from the bank...
...and asking for it in nickels! :-D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm

fansubs_ca wrote: Funny mental image of Apple withdrawing their "excess" cash from the bank...
...and asking for it in nickels! :-D

:? Is there that many in the US?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:14 pm

there is actually a good reason for this.

the banks now get charged deposit insurance on their total assets, not just insured deposits. it used to be that they could route these huge overnight deposits to an uninsured product, but that is no longer possible. the bank actually loses money by accepting these deposits. Welcome to Obamanomics.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions