Iowa Straw Poll Results

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Iowa Straw Poll Results

Postby natsb88 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:52 pm

As much of a gimmick as the straw poll is, I'm glad to see a strong showing for Ron Paul. He was only 152 votes behind Bachmann, and way ahead of the rest of the field.

1. Michele Bachmann (4823, 28.55%)
2. Ron Paul (4671, 27.65%)
3. Tim Pawlenty (2293, 13.57%)
4. Rick Santorum (1657, 9.81%)
5. Herman Cain (1456, 8.62%)
6. Rick Perry (718, 3.62%) write-in
7. Mitt Romney (567, 3.36%)
8. Newt Gingrich (385, 2.28%)
9. Jon Huntsman (69, 0.41%)
10. Thad McCotter (35, 0.21%)
(total votes 16,892)
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Iowa Straw Poll Results

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:14 pm

The word "gimmick" applies to most of the candidates, too. Go Ron Paul!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Who is this "michele Bachmann"? Sounds like a woman. :P
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm

I LOVE the way the pecking order set up.

Status quo will prevail.

Don't get excited.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby NHsorter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:44 pm

God spare us from Bachmann. I can't put my finger on it, but something about her just makes my stomach churn a little. I just don't see a happy ending with that one. Deep down I just feel like she has no shot head to head against Obama. Even with his completely piss poor job performance and disdain for all that is good.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:12 pm

NHsorter wrote:God spare us from Bachmann. I can't put my finger on it, but something about her just makes my stomach churn a little. I just don't see a happy ending with that one. Deep down I just feel like she has no shot head to head against Obama. Even with his completely piss poor job performance and disdain for all that is good.

I second that. I like what she is saying, but she gives me the willys.

BTW, listened to the FOX news Sunday program on the radio. They said the name Ron Paul twice, and that was the entirety of the comments on him. They spent more time talking about Rick Santorum who has zero chance of going anywhere.

The media in this nation is disgraceful. We may as well be in the Soviet Union.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:
NHsorter wrote:The media in this nation is disgraceful. We may as well be in the Soviet Union.

What? You didn't know? We already are. I heard that Obama, who isn't quite as internet savvy as Al Gore, and subsequently grew a bit confused as to the difference between My Space and Facebook... asked Putin "Hey Vladimir... would you like to be a friend on my face?" :oops:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Delawhere Jack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:51 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Delawhere Jack wrote:
NHsorter wrote:The media in this nation is disgraceful. We may as well be in the Soviet Union.

What? You didn't know? We already are. I heard that Obama, who isn't quite as internet savvy as Al Gore, and subsequently grew a bit confused as to the difference between My Space and Facebook... asked Putin "Hey Vladimir... would you like to be a friend on my face?" :oops:

Reading your reply got me thinking that Putin would wring Obummers neck in an instant....with one hand... if Obummer ever goes off script.

Then it dawned on me. I have never heard Russia mentioned in any of the financial collapse news. No Russian banks holding bad debt, no Russian soviergn debt issues, nothing. In fact, thinking about it now, they seem to be the one country that is conspicuosly absent from any financial meltdown news.......

Hmmmmm....
Last edited by Delawhere Jack on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:29 pm

No doubt in my mind, they were probably just as greedy as everyone else. They just don't want to admit it.
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:35 pm

I just listened to all the sunday news shows on the radio.

Ron Paul was not mentioned except in passing on the fox show.

Since I'm a sexist, I don't want Bachmann to get the nomination, although I would vote for her over Obama. I do like her, but not as president.

The 'david gregory show'? He kept dwelling on all this 'gay' stuff and her religious views.

Does the gay issue really matter that much? Just curious.

I also listen to Rush on the Radio, I'm starting to dislike his attitude, The guy is funny but not that sharp.

I'm becoming more interested in Ron Paul, It's all about freedom to me, not religion or gays. WTF?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 pm

I believe in what Ron Paul has to say... but I don't think he is electable. Not a polished speaker like some, not as telegenic as some (lacks charisma) and needs to reign in his temper a bit at times. Maybe he could VP under Perry? And then still have some influence. He definitely NOT one who TPTB would want in office. If he WERE elected, he would pose a threat to the entrenched establishment, and might suffer the same fate as Andrew McGuire
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Is Bachman a TEA party? Still trying to wrap my brain around the TEA party deal.
Thogey

Postby aloneibreak » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 pm

pawlenty has officially called it quits

glad to see the field shrinking already - my fear is that votes will be spread too thin and 0bama will squeak by for four more years of disaster

bachmann is TEA party - also chair of the house TEA party caucus

seems to me like sarah palin all over again - this time running for president instead of just vp

personally id be glad to see paul go all the way...

but im glad to see perry running as well
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Thogey wrote:Is Bachman a TEA party? Still trying to wrap my brain around the TEA party deal.

She's the leader of the Tea Party Caucus in the House.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:22 pm

So the Repulicrats have a TEA party caucus? Why?

I thought TEA party had no leader and Republicrats did not like the TEA party.
Thogey

Postby NiBullionCu » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm not understanding all the fuss about the Iowa straw poll.

There have been six of them so far, and they've only twice successfully predicted the Republican nominee out of the previous 5.

Extrapolating, Bachmann has a 40% chance of getting the nomination.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:15 pm

There have been a few mentions of Perry here. He preaches a lot of the right stuff, but his practice doesn't back it up. Supported TARP, mandated vaccines, increased spending and debt in Texas (although he claims otherwise), and so on. He brags a lot about job growth in Texas, but fails to mention that they are low-wage no-benefit jobs filled largely by migrant workers and immigrants. His states' rights anti-federal government stunts are what get media attention, but his day-to-day record is much less attractive. (I also personally find his speeches over-dramatic and obviously rehearsed, but that's less troubling than his policies).

I'll let this young lady elaborate...

natsb88

Postby NHsorter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Ron Paul is probably not electable. It pains me to say that, because I am a HUGE HUGE Ron Paul fan. I have the sign curbside right now. It the same sign that I have had since 4 years ago. IF he did win, he would probably go out like Kennedy. Media will never give him a fair chance.

Bachmann is totally Palin Part II. The media will destroy her and she will be uber polarizing like Palin and truly hated by many. I feel that the media is going easy on her now and silently relishing the beat down that they will give her if she can pull off the nomination. I also like what she is saying (most of it) but there is just something that I don't trust. I don't need her wasting time with gay marriage and abortion and the war on drugs. Come on, get over the bull crap and work on something important please! The ship is sinking!

I think that Ron Paul's campaign and his impressive fund raising in 2008 is what started the tea party. His followers cherish common sense, the constitution, LIBERTY, less government, more freedom. Since the early days of the TEA party, I think that some things have changed and a lot of neocons and the religious right have tried to harness the tea party as their own. I hope that it can remain more about liberty, less government, more personal freedom. I think most Americans want that, either side of the aisle. The media likes to paint the TEA party as crazy right-wing nuts. Then it is easy to just blow them off. I think if they could get their real message out there it would resonate with more people from all spectrums. Here I am daydreaming again.

Bottom line is that I feel that the TEA party is hated by the media and becoming somewhat hijacked by the hard right. Frankly, the establishment GOP is clearly annoyed by the tea party because they do not fall in line with a lot of their bull[excrement]. They made it hard for the Speaker to reach a deal with the messiah. They required some substance in the bill and not just a complete load of crap that kicks the can down the road. So they are a pain to the GOP. Hey, no pain, no gain is how I look at it.

Look, there is no definition for the tea party. It really is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I wish them all the best. Rand Paul, Rubio, and others have me excited that there is a chance that some day we might have a decent government.

I want to see the field get narrowed down here pretty quickly if we can. Unless someone else good comes out of the blue I have to just hope that Romney can pull it off and beat out a lot of these other clowns. I'll be voting for Paul in the Primary and I'll be giving him money too. If I can't have Paul (or even Cain) then I hope that Romney gets it because I think that he can beat Obama and I also think that he has what it takes to fix the economy.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 pm

I listened to her but wonder about her backing is she Tea Party or a Demo trying to stop Perry??

What was the source for this? I support Ron Paul not Perry but felt that her talk was with cue cards of some sort, as it is Jerkey Its not a smooth flow JMTC

Do you Know where we could check Perry's record.

In Oregon we had smear on A candidate i supported but facts were hard to come up with.
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 am

why is obummer prez now... idiot voters. why will obummer be re elected...idiot voters. God bless the USA
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Redneck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 am

Rick Perry was Al Gores campaign manager when he ran for president...
................................ :roll: .............................................

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Redneck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:51 am

"We're gonna ignore him"

Watch.

:evil:

>

>
Last edited by Redneck on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:05 am

Mitt Romney had a dismal showing, yet the media calls him the "front-runner". Ha! (That is exactly how we got John McCain as Repub. nominee last time.) That is a sure sign NOT to vote for him!

Ron Paul had a great showing and yet the media ignores him. Hell yeah! That is a sure sign to VOTE for Ron Paul!!!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:25 am

Thogey wrote:So the Repulicrats have a TEA party caucus? Why?

I thought TEA party had no leader and Republicrats did not like the TEA party.

I appreciate your having lots of questions about the TEA Party. It's kinda like asking who was in charge of the "Hippie Movement". There are leaders of small groups, but there is no official leader of an official political party. It is indeed a grass roots movement across the USA. Bachman set up a TEA caucus on her own and invited others to join her.

I have been to Republican conventions in Okla. where they tried to "fence in" the TEA Party members. Without naming names, the Repubs. tried to pass strict resolutions prohibiting Party officials from endorsing TEA candidates should the TEA'ers break away. That pissed-off lots of rank and file members. The TEA's have ruffled feathers by issuing ultimatums of "do it this way or you lose our votes". It is not a perfect marriage.

If you want some more info. Here is a blurb from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:41 am

Delawhere Jack wrote:Then it dawned on me. I have never heard Russia mentioned in any of the financial collapse news. No Russian banks holding bad debt, no Russian soviergn debt issues, nothing. In fact, thinking about it now, they seem to be the one country that is conspicuosly absent from any financial meltdown news.......

Hmmmmm....

Russia is a survivor of the breakup of the USSR. During the break-up and rebuild, Russia handled it's financial crisis very differently than we are handling ours. They liquidated any business (and anyone) that could not produce at a profit and be self-sufficient. It was Darwinian economics at it's harshest.

Today, Russia is fit and trim because it liquidated poorly managed assets for pennies on the dollar and then re-capitalized those assets for profit with new management.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions